Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-19-2023, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Deliver Mix Sessions to platforms Amazon / Netflix / ...

No Evan

You are irreplaceable.

No one can create this much disruption on this kind of post than those like you.

Seriously though. Thousands and thousands or hundreds of thousands of words can be written with 26 letters or less give or take a few by spelling rules.

We're just "ugly bags of mostly water" to sentient sand. A lot of H20 and "hot air" (methane.. gas?)
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 04-20-2023, 09:06 AM

One last attempt here to save a Drowning Witch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanbenjamin View Post
(snip)

But yeah, I’m mostly happy to just click send bc I want to do less unpaid work.

evanbenjamin, you just keep digging your own grave, are you really not getting it?

You have "unpaid work" because you are giving away the farm

I'll spell this out for you - - CHARGE FOR THE WORK - - don't just give it away.

kasper
Old 04-23-2023, 02:07 PM

Lot of anger and name calling over a simple disagreement. Take care of yourself. Get out there and touch some grass.

evanbenjamin, you just keep digging your own grave, are you really not getting it?

You have "unpaid work" because you are giving away the farm

I'll spell this out for you - - CHARGE FOR THE WORK - - don't just give it away.

kasper[/QUOTE]
Old 04-24-2023, 01:21 PM

Thing with giving away templates is not that there's magic in them but in some cases years of work.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
Thing with giving away templates is not that there's magic in them but in some cases years of work.
EXACTLY! Well said!!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:55 PM
SPAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
Interesting discussion...
Evan, may I ask, you mention M&Es here, which I would believe many of us would not mind handing off (after all this often happens at bigger facilities too, that the big head mixers don't necessarily to all the deliverables downstream?).

But may I ask: How would you think of this if you fond out that a cheaper post house with a young engineer (maybe even in-house at Netflix/...) were hired to do the next season, based off of your template/mix session of the one you handed in? Maybe even with all the sound effects and edit work from the last team (buying all the libraries on the market takes the EULA issue out of the euqation, see below).

Regarding the EULAs, I'm on Kasper's view of things - the "toy" thing you mention Evan being one aspect, you are right there, but also the pure duplication/handing off of the sound files is another - that is also not allowed.
Actually a gray area might also be a sound supervisor getting a session from a freelance sound editor, with them having used their commercial libraries and handing them off to the supervisor, who does not own those... and continues working with that material... other story.

The score-session analogy seems great at first, however we need to remember - downstream work on a series usually only involves replacing a full cue/song, not having to edit the second bassoon track, because of a licensing or QC issue for foreign markets.

I like and also follow Marty's approach with creating several food-group-splits that would help further downstream with any fixes, cutdowns etc. (albeit on a far smaller scope than you Marty!)
But - this is creating MORE work and time on our end, i.e. actually higher cost, which this "hand it all over and we'll do it" request is trying to circumvent.
Yeah, license problems are a bitch, I got inadvertently fined a lot of money once....
Old 08-02-2023, 08:56 PM
SPAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
Interesting discussion...
Evan, may I ask, you mention M&Es here, which I would believe many of us would not mind handing off (after all this often happens at bigger facilities too, that the big head mixers don't necessarily to all the deliverables downstream?).

But may I ask: How would you think of this if you fond out that a cheaper post house with a young engineer (maybe even in-house at Netflix/...) were hired to do the next season, based off of your template/mix session of the one you handed in? Maybe even with all the sound effects and edit work from the last team (buying all the libraries on the market takes the EULA issue out of the euqation, see below).

Regarding the EULAs, I'm on Kasper's view of things - the "toy" thing you mention Evan being one aspect, you are right there, but also the pure duplication/handing off of the sound files is another - that is also not allowed.
Actually a gray area might also be a sound supervisor getting a session from a freelance sound editor, with them having used their commercial libraries and handing them off to the supervisor, who does not own those... and continues working with that material... other story.

I struck gold when I found a comprehensive website that served as a one-stop shop for all my LLC formation needs. From step-by-step guides to services like name reservation, EIN acquisition, and registered start llc in pennsylvania agent selection, this platform had it all. The convenience of accessing everything in one place made the LLC creation process a breeze.
The score-session analogy seems great at first, however we need to remember - downstream work on a series usually only involves replacing a full cue/song, not having to edit the second bassoon track, because of a licensing or QC issue for foreign markets.

I like and also follow Marty's approach with creating several food-group-splits that would help further downstream with any fixes, cutdowns etc. (albeit on a far smaller scope than you Marty!)
But - this is creating MORE work and time on our end, i.e. actually higher cost, which this "hand it all over and we'll do it" request is trying to circumvent.
Yeah, license problems are a bitch, I got inadvertently fined a lot of money once....

Last edited by Bonaro; 08-03-2023 at 06:01 AM.