Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-1969, 04:00 PM

Default Re: vocal recording compression/levels?

reg
Old 12-31-1969, 04:00 PM

Old 02-04-2002, 09:35 AM

Default vocal recording compression/levels?

i'm going to be recording vocals with an sm-58 into ptf. anyone have any good general settings for compression and/or eq...if any at all?

THANKS! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2002, 09:52 AM

It sepends on the singer and the type of music you are recording. A soft voice would take different setting than a strong, dynamic voice. Also the type of music would effect the kind of compression I would use.

Some plug-ins, like the Waves Ren compressor, do have suggested compression settings for various suituations. Their manuals are available for download and are good reading.

I would start out with a 3:1 ratio and an attack of around 100 ms with a release of 200 ms and a threshold of around -20 and go from there. Experiment

I'm sure others will have different suggestions.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:03 AM

thanks. it will be me, as the vocalist. i'm a dynamic vocalist uh...dynamically speaking. ha! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] so, i don't think that i'll have to be fighting for levels. probably, i'll have to be fighting not to clip anything. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] any suggested mic placements/distance/angles of attack? would that change any of the settings? again, thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2002, 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TIGERSHARK:
i'll have to be fighting not to clip anything. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] any suggested mic placements/distance/angles of attack? would that change any of the settings? again, thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You can't clip a dynamic mic with a vocal and good condensor's clip at 120-130 db so those shouod be save too. You do have to watch yout pre amp front end so you don't clip there.

Distance depends on how close you want to sound and, if you are using caridod, how much bass rise you want. I've seen from 20 to 3 inches.

When I was in radio, I announced past the mic. It was off to one side. Others will put the mic right in front and sing through a pop filter, with the mic slightly higher than the person and angeled down.

The distance will change the loudness (cut the distance in half and you double the volume) and increase the bass if you are using anything but an omni mic.

Also, since the distance will determine the loudness, getting closer will reduce the sound of the room. I am remembering the old song "Liar" by Three Dog Night where the singer backed away from the mic and sang in the bathroom. The natural reverb was interesting (at least it was in 1975!).

Some experienced singers will back away from the mic when they get loud and get closer for soft passages.

I like a lot of compression on vocals. I think it makes it sound more "like a record". Personal taste.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:59 PM

i like the part where you say you like the compression because it will then sound more like a record. A friend of mine had a bit of the same. She rufused to listen to FM radiostations, because fm sounded too good, am sounded like radio, and that was what she would listen to.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Bastiaan
Old 02-06-2002, 08:17 AM

cool. thanks for the replies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] how, literally, would i set the compression in ptf? that may sound like a very basic question, but i am sorta new at the recording part of things. thanks! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2002, 11:09 AM

been there, read that. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] i wanted to make the connection between that, and what i've read in the manual. sometimes it helps to have someone else confirm it. thanks!

when i set the compressor to say 2:1, is that fairly self-explanatory within the manual?

i know how to insert plug-ins, i just wanted confirmation on tweaking them to a certain setting within ptf. (i'm not much of a techhie. lol)

again, thank you for the replies! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2002, 02:07 PM

here's something to start with:

treshold -8db
ratio 1:3 (or 3:1...keep forgetting... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
fairly fast attack
fairly slow release
soft knee

after that, throw in a limiter to shave off the peaks that still gets through. And dont overuse the comps/limiters because it will sound pumping, and if you let them work too hard they really start adding distortion to your mix...

Bastiaan