Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2023, 12:35 PM

Default Presonus Studio Live 32S + HDX Thunderbolt Card + HD Omni + RME 12Mic

Hi everyone,

I'm constantly getting an AAE 6126 error while trying to record a single vocal track. There's only one other stereo track in the project so nothing heavy.

I use a presonus studio live 32S series 3 for extra I/O, monitor mixes while recording live bands etc. I also use an Omni with a thunderbolt chassis HDX card. Protools has no problem recognising all. It's just I can't get rid of this error no matter what I change. Avid gives three possible reasons including clocking, buffer size and excessive plugin load. Tried both buffer size alternatives and removing all plugins and the the problem continues. The worst thing is that I can't anticipate when this is going to happen. This leaves me with the clocking issue option. Does anybody know if it's possible to use an RME 12Mic as a master clock source with Presonus (AVB) and say an Avid MADI (Thinking of purchasing a second hand one and discard the Omni)

Thank you all in advance...

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 11.48.39.jpg (38.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Presonus Studio Live 32S + HDX Thunderbolt Card + HD Omni + RME 12Mic

Since nobody else has offered anything, here's my thought; Pull the HDN box and just use the 32S as your sole interface and see what happens. Its a good sounding unit and maybe the problem is related to too many things trying to "talk to" Pro Tools. You may find that you can sell off the extra gear and use the money for some great mics, monitors or acoustic treatments

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-11-2023, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Presonus Studio Live 32S + HDX Thunderbolt Card + HD Omni + RME 12Mic

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply Dave. Believe me it was really tempting to sell the HDX-Omni combo and invest in some good microphones.
I think I have solved the issue. It's too early to tell but all seems to be working fine. It's been a week long journey and I have read and watched countless articles/videos about AVB, MADI, Presonus, Protools, HDX, RME 12mic, Cables, Connections... I have created 3 tickets with AVID, Presonus and RME which led to nowhere.

The title seemed irrelevant at first but this article solved it all ; https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...-MacOS-Big-Sur

I purchased an RME 12Mic with optional MADI, Avid MADI and a Presonus AVB Switch. Everything is connected to the switch via Cat5e. The switch is connected directly to Mac Studios ethernet port. Opened a terminal window, typed "avbutil" then "controller". Under window tab selected "ATDECC Controller" On the left side you can see all the devices attached. The first thing to change is Mac's clock source, changed to Audio Input Stream 1, also checked the settings such as sample rate, stream format, etc (explained in the article linked above)

I connected the studio live 32s, NSB 32;16, and (RME 12mic Avid Madi HDX) trio. Got all their settings matching to each other. The only problem was 12Mics settings couldn't be changed a lot here. But it decided to work fine thankfully.

The last step was to use HIVE AVB software to route everything. The ATDECC screen provided by OSX is capable of routing too but I used HIVE to see more information about the connected devices.
https://github.com/christophe-calmej...ses/tag/v1.3.0

I'm sure there are things I missed here. I hope this info helps someone.

Thanks Dave...