How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 02:57 PM

Default 2023.6 Group Selection (Bug?)

Hey all,

Jumped back into a SFX session I've been working on through 2023.3 after installing 2023.6, and I've noticed the group selection has changed after updating.

It used to be (in all previous versions up until now) that while using the object grabber tool you could select the whole group by click-dragging the cursor over any part of the group. But now, the whole group is only selected if I click-drag over the bottom-most track.

Is anyone else seeing this? or, do I need to trash prefs.

Cheers,

--

Update, again using the object grabber. Group selection only selects the whole group if you click the bottom-most track, this appears to be a bug imo.

Link to screen capture:
https://streamable.com/egqkh0

--

Last edited by TrentWilliams; 06-08-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:11 PM

Default Re: 2023.6 Group Selection (Bug?)

Pro Tools beta testing team? where are you guys? so many bugs...
Old 06-10-2023, 07:06 AM

I’m not seeing how this is a bug.

You’re selecting individual sections of the group and the sections are moving with the grabber.

When you grab the bottom track portion of the group the whole group is selected as it’s supposed to be and then it’s moved.
For all the other tracks your selecting first, then grabbing. This is how that tool is supposed to work.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:20 AM

Are those clip boundaries *exactly* aligned between tracks? I've not installed .6 yet, but on .3 with the object grabber, if you select any object in a group which is enabled, it selects *all* tracks in the group regardless of where in the group you're selecting, as long as all the objects' start and end boundaries are perfectly aligned.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-13-2023, 06:24 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
Hey all,

Jumped back into a SFX session I've been working on through 2023.3 after installing 2023.6, and I've noticed the group selection has changed after updating.

It used to be (in all previous versions up until now) that while using the object grabber tool you could select the whole group by click-dragging the cursor over any part of the group. But now, the whole group is only selected if I click-drag over the bottom-most track.

Is anyone else seeing this? or, do I need to trash prefs.
--
Hi Trent! I see this bug happening only for the clip groups created on the newly created tracks in PT 2023.6. Won't occur if you save and reopen the session with the clip group or if you have created a clip group on the tracks that were already present in the session when it was opened.
Logged to Avid as a bug (PT-306085).
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-28-2023, 02:44 AM

Gonna tack on to this if I can, as I feel like it might be related - selecting a group of clips with the object grabber, and then cutting those clips, un-addresses whatever tracks those clips were on (with 'track selection follows edit selection' on).

Previously this would leave the tracks selected, which was great - I could grab some stuff, cut it, click on a marker, and paste to the same tracks I cut from. Now it gets all wacky because my track selection disappears unless I switch to the I-beam selector instead (which might grab things I don't want to grab!)
Old 06-28-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushoopork View Post
Gonna tack on to this if I can, as I feel like it might be related - selecting a group of clips with the object grabber, and then cutting those clips, un-addresses whatever tracks those clips were on (with 'track selection follows edit selection' on).

Previously this would leave the tracks selected, which was great - I could grab some stuff, cut it, click on a marker, and paste to the same tracks I cut from. Now it gets all wacky because my track selection disappears unless I switch to the I-beam selector instead (which might grab things I don't want to grab!)
Confirming that I have this bug, too. This is quite a dealbreaker for complex fx editing in audio post, especially if the same effect "ingredients" are needed at multiple points in the show (e.g. doors & other domestic spot fx).
Old 07-03-2023, 07:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushoopork View Post

Are you sure it was working in this way anytime before? What PT version it was?
I have tried PT 2022.12 and it behaves the same for cut object-selected clips - selection of the tracks dismissed since no cursor is left on these tracks.
Could you please add a screen record where it behaves as you described (before it was broken)?

(btw the original issue of this thread has already been fixed in-house, meet the fix in the next release)
Old 07-03-2023, 02:44 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadym View Post
Hi Trent! I see this bug happening only for the clip groups created on the newly created tracks in PT 2023.6. Won't occur if you save and reopen the session with the clip group or if you have created a clip group on the tracks that were already present in the session when it was opened.
Logged to Avid as a bug (PT-306085).
Thanks for the info!
Thanks Vadym for chiming in on this......

marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 07-06-2023, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadym View Post
Are you sure it was working in this way anytime before? What PT version it was?
I have tried PT 2022.12 and it behaves the same for cut object-selected clips - selection of the tracks dismissed since no cursor is left on these tracks.
Could you please add a screen record where it behaves as you described (before it was broken)?

(btw the original issue of this thread has already been fixed in-house, meet the fix in the next release)
Annoyingly enough, I can't replicate it! Guess I was misremembering. Call it a feature request, then. In the meantime I'll do some keyboard maestro trickery.