Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-19-2022, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Track input monitoring from control surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Some other things...

Earlier I showed you the key type way.
There's actually a better way (because it doesn't require Pro Tools to be focused just locked to Eucon.) There are Euconized commands both for "input monitor tracks with selection" and to toggle "link track and selection"

So EUCON type this time:
Instead of "shift+I" use
EUCON > Transport > Record > "Input Monitor Tracks With Selection"

Instead of "shift+T" use
EUCON > Options Menu > "Link Track and Edit Selection"

That way, in case you click to something else (like to Finder), the Eucon Surface keys still continue to work (if you've locked Eucontrol to Pro Tools)
Wow.

If you work for AVID, good for them, this is how clients should be treated. If you don’t, good for you and YOUR clients.

This is great great info. Thank you. Hopefully AVID will not delete THIS thread of mine so others in my position can benefit as well. IdeaScale, personal conversations, and the locked/deleted posts say they’re out there.

Cheers!
Old 05-19-2022, 02:49 PM

Work for the film/tv industry in post (nothing to do with Avid) but on Pro Tools all day/every day
Old 05-19-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Work for the film/tv industry in post (nothing to do with Avid) but on Pro Tools all day/every day
Nice.

Used to be able to mix with my eyes closed on my Command 8. Similar sort of thing when I used to work at a full studio on a board. Artist Control never gave me that level of confidence. I get the feeling that the S1 could get me there again.

Again - very kind of you to provide your help to me and the community.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Some other things...

Earlier I showed you the key type way.
There's actually a better way (because it doesn't require Pro Tools to be focused just locked to Eucon.) There are Euconized commands both for "input monitor tracks with selection" and to toggle "link track and selection"
So EUCON type this time:
Instead of "shift+I" use
EUCON > Transport > Record > "Input Monitor Tracks With Selection"
I've done exactly this but for some reason I'm getting an error message when I press the softkey.

"the track could not be input monitored because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned"

The track clearly does have both assigned (and tested to verify). When I click the "I" icon in the pro tools mixer it works as expected.

Any idea why this might be happening?
Old 06-05-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
I've done exactly this but for some reason I'm getting an error message when I press the softkey.

"the track could not be input monitored because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned"

The track clearly does have both assigned (and tested to verify). When I click the "I" icon in the pro tools mixer it works as expected.

Any idea why this might be happening?
Sounds like it is trying to input enable a different track (the focus is on a different track.) You'll have to figure out what track it is trying to input enable (obviously missing an I or O) to figure out what is going wrong.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Sounds like it is trying to input enable a different track (the focus is on a different track.) You'll have to figure out what track it is trying to input enable (obviously missing an I or O) to figure out what is going wrong.
Nope after more testing it's 100% malfunctioning.

If I create a brand new session with only a few tracks it works exactly as it should. When I open an existing session with many other tracks/types, it doesn't work using the same I/O. When I add a new track (in this same problematic session) it not only works on the new channel but the old channel that didn't work 30 seconds ago suddenly starts working. Closing the session and re-opening starts the cycle all over again and it doesn't work until I add a new track, input monitor the new track and then go back to the older track which, again, suddenly starts working.

I wish it was user error but it sure doesn't seem to be...
Old 06-06-2023, 11:02 PM

Put in a error note with Avid through the Avid Support Center. Include in it the corrupt session (no media) so they can recreate the steps you have. And then list your steps. You can even send your softkey Eucontrol file so they have the softkey exactly as you have it programmed.

Only they can "look under the hood" to see what is happening.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:20 AM
Avid

As Bscout says PM me the session with exactly the workflow step by step to show me the issue.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:58 PM

Thank you both for your willingness to help, however I seem to have fixed the problem (at least for now). Yesterday I removed and re-instantiated all Eucon devices, trashed my PT prefs, started a new session, imported the tracks from the problematic one and now it seems to be consistently working. I wish I knew exactly what fixed it, but I'm happy that all is good now.

I'm curious though, why the Shift key on the bottom left of the S1 doesn't offer the same functionality? It toggles the rec arm regardless of whether the shift key is engaged which is kind of a waste of a modifier key. Seems like it should be a natural extension of the functionality to match the Shift key on the Dock. Maybe something that could be added in a future update?

Last edited by zakco; 06-07-2023 at 01:41 PM.