Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Default Directory not found or incomplete pathname (20) error when loading PT 11

Hello everyone, I'm a long time fan/lurker of this forum and have finally come to a problem that I have not been able to find a solution for on my own, so I'm making my first post here.

First off, here is my system info:
Mid 2007 iMac, 4GB Ram
500 GB Solid State HD - Dual Boot system
1st partition - OSX El Capitan with PT 11
2nd partition - OSX Mountain Lion with PT 10
3 TB HD installed for storage

I'm attaching a screen shot of the error I'm getting, this happens as soon as I try to launch pro tools.

Some background on what lead me to this issue:
I had been running OSX Mavericks, with PT 10, it worked ok, but I had issues, on a separate partition I had El Capitan installed, and was running PT 11 just fine, this other partition was set up to test the OS and how PT reacted to it, my main partition was the Mavericks partition. At this point in time I was using a 160GB solid state drive. I recently upgraded the drive to a 500 GB drive, partitioning it in equal halves, on one side I installed Mountain Lion, as it was the last officially supported OS for PT 10, I then installed PT 10 on it, and it is working great. On the other partition I carbon copy cloned my Mavericks partition, and then updated the OS to El Capitan, then I installed PT 11 onto that drive, and began receiving this error.

I have searched the forums and Google for a solution, but can't seem to find any info that relates. I have trashed my preferences, and databases. No luck, repaired permissions on the drive, no luck. I have also manually removed all PT 10 and 11 files from that partition and tried reinstalling an earlier version, 11.1, same issue, removed all files again and installed 11.3 again, still the same.

I should also note that I had been using a Digi 003 as my audio interface, and recently switched to using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, they both connected via FireWire, and have not had any issues relating to that, that I know of.

I'm hoping that someone has some ideas I can try. I have a feeling that there is a file I've missed when uninstalling. I'm about ready to give up, wipe the partition clean and start over again.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, and appreciate any advice or suggestions in advance.

Thanks!

-Jon
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 1.27.33 PM.png (67.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Directory not found or incomplete pathname (20) error when loading PT 11

Are the OS X installs full new installs or in-situ upgrades? Bzzt. You in-situ upgraded to El Capitan. Bad idea. Likely cause of your problem. Why the hell do you want to be on El Crapitan in the first place? If you *have* to be on it then wipe the partition and do a full clean install. Do not use system migration utility to move anythign except user folders/user files. Manually install all apps, plugins and drivers.... or even better give up on El Crapian.