Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Default Getting Artist Control to work with Adobe Audition on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Hi all,
first post here.

Typing this on a Windows 8.1 64-bit machine, with Adobe Audition CS6, and a trio of Artist control surfaces (Control, Transport and Color).

I have been trying to get any of them to work for several weeks, to no avail. A bit about my setup:

1. Windows 8.1 64-bit.
2. Adobe Audition CS6.
3. EuCon 3.1.0.
4. Artist Control, Transport and Color each connected with a Dell managed switch to the workstation.
5. Using static IP addresses as DHCP did not work at all.
6. Also, connecting each surface separately to the computer with crossover cables yielded same results as connecting through the switch.

What happens is that with EuCon 3.1, the system recognizes all three surfaces and I can modify their settings (update firmware, adjust display brightness, modify softkeys etc).

Unfortunately, Adobe Audition CS6 does not recognize Artist Control. I have:

1. Followed settings and installed pretty much every EuCon version I could find.
2. I always wait until the surface has been activated prior to proceeding with the application.
3. I have selected EuCon in Adobe Audition.
4. I have added Adobe Audition CS6 in the applications in the EuCon applet in Control Panel.

No deal. The surface does not connect to Audition at all.

As a side note, I downloaded Avid Media Composer and followed the settings there. Neither surface works with Media Composer although each connects to the computer properly.

I have spoken on the phone with Adobe support for more than an hour - they were no help at all. Yet it was their videos of using Artist Control with Audition that were the primary spark towards the purchase - so I know it should work, at least in theory.

Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Getting Artist Control to work with Adobe Audition on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
As Audition CS6 is EUCon aware you don't have to add it in the EUCon Control Panel applet.

Adding apps into that control panel tells EUControl to provide Mackie emulation for that app rather than allowing EUCon.

I'm using Eucon 3.1.2, Adobe Audition CS6 but on Windows 7 - it works here but then maybe Windows 8.1 is causing the trouble.

BTW: DHCP will only work if there's a DHCP server sitting on your network to offer out IPv4 addresses. If there isn't then the surfaces won't get an address. I've always used DHCP with my surfaces but then I have a router in the cupboard running a DHCPv4&v6 service offering addresses to all my many network devices.
It seems I might need to try Windows 7 then.

As for DHCP, we do have a DHCP server running on the network backbone. As a matter of fact, each of the workstations gets their IP automatically - but for some reasons - this is spotty for the surfaces. It either takes forever or not at all (automatic IP).
Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Getting Artist Control to work with Adobe Audition on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
Following up: Are the surfaces following the currently selected app? For example, if I select the 'soft keys' tab on my 'Control' then the soft-keys displayed change according to the application in focus. At the moment I have internet exploder in focus so I see amongst other things 'Stop loading, refresh page, full screen' buttons on the surface. These buttons as well as the 'application focus' icon in the top left of the control screen change as I switch to different applications. Is this working?

Oh and are all the surfaces listed under 'My surfaces' in the EuControl application?
All the surfaces are listed and visible under My surfaces. As for following the currently selected app... not sure - the soft keys are not changing as I switch applications. From time to time, I see "Adobe Audition" listed in the top left corner on the touchscreen, but that is about it.