Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-28-2009, 06:06 AM

Default Unable To Locate Component

Upon launch of Pro Tools 7.4, I get this message:

"PT 7.4: ProToolsLE.exe - Unable To Locate Component
The application has failed to start because libeay.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I also get this one:

"Unable to locate Digidesign hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on. Click "OK" when the hardware is ready."

And finally, I also get this one:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer had malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving the problem, click this message."

Reinstalling does not fix the problem. I've used this MBox together with this computer with no trouble or issues for years. We had a small tornado blow through my town and as I was shutting down my system the lights started to flicker. I am assuming a driver or driver component may have been corrupted. The other possibility is that the MBox has been damaged. Is there a way to test for both? The MBox gets USB power, however the USB light remains unlit. All other electronics and the computer system are fine.

I would very much appreciate any information or help. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Unable To Locate Component

The best way to test the Mbox is to plug it into another system that is working. Power problems can do all sorts of damage in many ways. You may have deeper problems than you realize. If you have a home owner's policy, your system might be covered(minus a deductible). I had a power failure at home last year and my computer was all whacked out afterwards(even though it still booted to the desktop). A call to my insurance company led to me dropping the system off at a service shop where it was tested(no charge to me) and deemed FUBAR. I got a check from insurance a week later.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Unable To Locate Component

Hi Albee,

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll be calling the insurance company today.