Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-06-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Mackie MCU and Communications Errors on PT 7.3.1

Hey All,

Just thought I'd share this if anyone else comes across it. I just upgraded to 7.3.1 cs2, and suddenly my MCU started losing communication with PT. Very consistent, sometimes it would take a few minutes, sometimes a little more. Power cycling the midi interface seemed to help almost every time, until it would happen again only a short while later.

Not sure that it's the OS, because I've since downgraded PT back to 7.2 (initial build) and the problem seems to have disappeared. It appears to me that Digi has changed something about PT's midi communication to AMS, or that perhaps another driver subsequently introduced (in PT) has a conflict with something on the USB bus. I went through a complete, ground up, reinstall of absolutely everything (8 hours plus), new midi and USB cables, different midi interface (unitor 8 and mt4), and reseating of every cable and dongle. All the usual stuff. I'm pretty sure it's PT.

I know that 10.4.9 is not Digiblessed. That said, I don't feel as though I'm getting my money's worth out of 7.3's upgrade price at this point. The initial corruption bug really cost me during a pressure situation, but it's been a while and I thought it was time to try again. Not.

Digi - Please, even if it takes longer to go golden master on these releases, take the time to make them more stable. People's livelihoods are at stake, and we really need to trust that you're releasing the best, most bug free and pre-tested product possible.

HD2 Accel
G5 Dual 2.3
Sync I/O
Mackie MCU

S.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Mackie MCU and Communications Errors on PT 7.3.1

happens with my hui as well. I found that instead of powercycling load up the midi setup. Get it to search again for the midi devices and all is well. It does this every time i restart but re-find solves it.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
happens with my hui as well. I found that instead of powercycling load up the midi setup. Get it to search again for the midi devices and all is well. It does this every time i restart but re-find solves it.
Thanks for responding. I tried this, and no go. The cure was going back to 7.2 (for me). From what you wrote, it would appear as though you're on an original HUI. Not so for me, I'm on an MCU.

Good luck to all,

S.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 AM

if you have the midi io just hit the reset button..works everytime with my hui. pt 7.3.1cs2 has a real problem with midi controllers..terrible.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:17 PM

I used to have this problem all the time up until a week ago. I could never figure it out. Finally got on the horn with Mackie and they informed me that in the MIDI setup, for each MCU and extender unit, you need to make sure that it only transmits MIDI on channel 1 and receives on ALL channels. Maybe this was common knowledge and I just missed it in the directions, but I haven't had a loss of communication since I changed those settings. I struggled with this one for over a year....was thinking it was a MIDI interface problem. Hope that helps.

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

MacPro 12core 3.46Ghz (5,1)
OSX v10.14
48GB RAM
1x HDX
2x HD i/o 16x16, 1x Digi192 8in/16out
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 on HDX
Old 04-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I used to have this problem all the time up until a week ago. I could never figure it out. Finally got on the horn with Mackie and they informed me that in the MIDI setup, for each MCU and extender unit, you need to make sure that it only transmits MIDI on channel 1 and receives on ALL channels. Maybe this was common knowledge and I just missed it in the directions, but I haven't had a loss of communication since I changed those settings. I struggled with this one for over a year....was thinking it was a MIDI interface problem. Hope that helps.
Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

You rock.

S.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Well, I gotta apologize to Digi for this one. Doesn't seem to be PT's fault.

The problem has reappeared, and nothing I've tried seems to cure it. Thanks to all for the suggestions though! It seems to be narrowed down to 10.4.9, or *gulp* my gefen extender, MCU, or computer is going. Hopefully it's just a software thing that will be addressed.

Thanks,
S.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:44 AM

Could this thread be related to your troubles?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 PM

Update - A few days ago, I replaced a computer keyboard that was wearing out with an exact duplicate of what I'd been using for a couple years (a Macally IceKey). Didn't give it another thought. I did my updates to 7.3.1cs2 and 10.4.9 at the same time. Then I started getting "lost communication" errors on my Mackie Control Universal. I thought it was 7.3.1, bitched at Digi (my bad, guys). Thought it was 10.4.9, bitched at Apple (sorry folks). Complete reinstall of everything. Day lost. Then went to 10.4.8, still had the issue. Complete reinstall of everything. Day lost. Got 10.4.6 going, another complete reinstall of everything. Most of day lost. Despite the arthritic loss of feeling in my fingers, I'm getting better at typing my admin password without even thinking now.... STILL THERE, damn it! Bout' ready to pull out the Sig Sauer and drop the hammer on this thing!

Thought it was my midi interface, but ruled that out. Cables? No. Thought it was my USB hub. Nope. Thought it was one of my dongles dying. Nah. Thought it was my MCU on the way out. Negative. So, finally, I've replaced the darn keyboard back to the one that was wearing out.... Haven't had the problem in hours. Hmmmm. It would seem either that the keyboard's defective, or they changed something about the design that my setup just ain't diggin'.

Fingers and eyes crossed that I nailed it.....

Moral of the story - Stay away from the cans!

S.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
So, finally, I've replaced the darn keyboard back to the one that was wearing out.... Haven't had the problem in hours. Hmmmm. It would seem either that the keyboard's defective, or they changed something about the design that my setup just ain't diggin'.
Glad your problem is solved. This doesn't bode well for mine though, as I didn't change any keyboards. All I did was update to v10.4.8.