Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-24-2004, 02:15 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default Question!! H/W Buffer Size - DIGI 002

Hello All-
I have recently had a new computer built to go along with a Digi 002.

It's got an Athlon processor, running Windows XP3200 with 1 gig of RAM memory and the audio drive's running at 7200 rpm.

I have been getting an error message today that mentioned the term "Underflowed" and it repeatedly requested that I change the H/W Buffer size . . . I have found the most success by keeping it at 0 (minimum) . . . was I just not "working the computer hard enough"??

I'm not a very advanced computer-minded engineer, although I'm learning. What I'd like to know is if there's anything else that can be done to get this thing to run smoother without all the stops. At the session today, I was working with a single vocalist, and the computer would periodically "stop" and I would get that error message over and again.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can shed some light on this.

-J
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 10-24-2004, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Question!! H/W Buffer Size - DIGI 002

The hardware buffer doesn't have a '0' setting, it's got things like 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024. The DAE Playback buffer should probably remain on the default setting (2, I think). If it doesn't work on the default setting, something else is probably wrong.

Normal behavior on a fast system like yours is to be able to track with DAE Playback Buffer at default, and H/W Buffer at 128. If the session gets busy with lots of tracks, plugins and edits, you may need to raise H/W bufffer up a bit, at the expense of increased latency in the monitors.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:11 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

You'll have to forgive my lack of intellect in this matter . . . I have used Digi 001 for a few years and it worked pretty well once we set it up . . . my explaination of what I have attempted to do may leave a little to be desired. I'll try to write more down next time before I request help when things aren't working.

I did set my buffer size to the minimum, as opposed to the max and it seemed to have helped alot. The error message I got said something about the term "underflowed" and the error message was "-6085". I will attempt to post the entire error message if it happens again. (I may have said all this already but I can't see what I put last time at the moment)

I do totally appreciate your assistance. This board is a great thing and it's awesome that people take the time to lend a hand.

-J
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 10-24-2004, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Hello All-
I have been getting an error message today that mentioned the term "Underflowed" and it repeatedly requested that I change the H/W Buffer size . . . I have found the most success by keeping it at 0 (minimum) . . . was I just not "working the computer hard enough"??
-J
Leave this setting at the default "2". It makes little cache buffers either in memory or on the hard disk. Having to many can confuse the OS and drops PTLE from its radar, to few, and you get bottle necks in your dataflow.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:27 AM

i typed in your errornumber in the answerbase and it looks like you should check out your harddiscs. It seems they have been stuck in PIO mode. Check if this is the case (settings/controlpanel/system/hardware/devicemanager/ide ata atapi controllers/primary IDE channel right/advanced settings. Look there under "current transfer mode"

A solution can be found here

Bastiaan
Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 AM

Not only do I think you may have solved my problem but you have also reminded me of how to go about looking for my own solutions. Thank you.

I will take this info with me to the studio in a little while and give it a shot.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:22 AM

Allright, I went looking for that "current transfer mode" setting and it is currently set at "Ultra DMA Mode 2". I read that info that you posted a link to and I'm not sure that this is the "problem", since it was not set to PIO mode.

Is there anything else that could be suspect? By the way, I have not had it time out or crash at all since I set the buffer thing to "minimum", but I'm going down there again in a few minutes to run it through some paces just to see if it's really gonna be fine.

Thanks again . . . I'm learning.