Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-18-2001, 03:41 PM

Default Re: pro tool vs emagic logic

I've been using Logic lately and it is definitely cool in some things but in other things...........

I have a question though, how do you set up to use the s/pdif in/.out of the Digi in Logic?
Old 06-18-2001, 05:56 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by flytrap:
I've been using Logic lately and it is definitely cool in some things but in other things...........

I have a question though, how do you set up to use the s/pdif in/.out of the Digi in Logic?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to know the secret handshake.

Seriously, open "Audio Hardware and Drivers" and check the box for "using 16 or more ins and outs" The digital ins and outs are referred to as ins/outs 17 and 18, but of course you can label them anything you wish using Logic's neat label feature. Now they should appear in the pop-up menus. You must also route which source (ADAT ot SPDIF) and which connector (RCA or optical) if using SPDIF, using the same DIGI setup pages.

As far as the rest, well I can't speak for those who do a lot of loop editing but the audio features in Logic work fine for me...not that they couldn't be better. I think that's one area where PT excels. Also, the learning curve on the whole "environment" thing is a bit steep. Logic, DP, and Cubase are all strong, and pretty well matched, but I've never seen features in the other two that I longed for in Logic, which rocks.

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: ThomCat ]
Old 06-18-2001, 09:20 PM

I can't say I see ProTools and Logic as the same thing... There is a fair overlap, but for audio only projects PT wins hands down. If you need to do anything serious with Midi, Logic is king. I also find Logic is good when doing some really heavy audio programming (like percussion), but for editing, go PT!!
Old 06-19-2001, 12:04 AM

Default pro tool vs emagic logic

I was looking at emagic Logic and it looks like a great system. I already have digi001 but logic looks like a cheap way of having more tracks without the huge expense of the TDM systems.

Anyone used it for have any opinions?
Old 06-19-2001, 12:46 AM

Best answer is try the demo - should be able to get one.

I find that Logic uses the Digi001 very well, all the normal things really Logic has more midi functionality and a 'sexier' interface. PT is MUCH easier to use imho, Logic uses VST plugins - you can't use these lovely RTAS ones, but the built ins are really pretty good with some nice filters (I use Platinum sometimes).

Why do I prefer PT?

Non destructive audio editing - biggie for me.

Editing audio and midi in place - in logic you have to open other windows which means if you want to line up that midi note to that audio spike (say a kick) you can't anyway as easily.

Too many windows open all the time.

Can't record off a buss.

The wonderful PT automation

I could go on - Logic is a fine, fine sequencer and should get a lot better when version 5 ships in Sept. Give it a go - when I switched to PT it was a revelation for it's simplicity and that's what I love.

Is 24 tracks really so bad? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck

Pete
Old 06-19-2001, 04:00 AM

Thanks, Thomcat........yea, the secret handshake is probably in the book. One day I'll read it!
Old 06-19-2001, 04:17 AM

I use Logic with Digi001 and honnestly, it's a great way to have up to 64 tracks. The way I use tracks, I rarelly have more than 30 tracks at the same time, but since I am allowed 64 I can have different tracks for different kicks for the verse, chorus and bridge, different snares, different hihats, different guitars...that way each of this track has its own EQ, plug-ins....people who know my songs probably understand that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

6am eternal