Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Default Help using a MIDI controller to do automation.

Alright guys I don't do much MIDI stuff so this is probably an easy question but here it goes. I currently have an M audio Axiom pro 49 keyboard to play MIDI stuff. I also am planning on buying a Behringer BCF200 to write volume automation with the faders, as well as the rotary knobs.

My problem though is on how to use a physical controller to control automation to a plug in. Say I have an instrument track, and I load Ik Multimedias Sonik Synth plug in on there. Lets say I go to the automation page of the plug in, choose cutoff or LPF, something like that, and I add it to the list of things that can be automated by the plug in.

This is where I get confused. When I go under the instrument track, then use the drop down arrow for say the cutoff, I see the line obviously on the track. Since it would take such a long time doing it by hand with the pencil tool, I would like to automate that parameter with my keyboard or Behringer fader. I then have no idea on how to set the fader or rotary knob to automate that plug in automation option. And when I fool around and look at lists about MIDI CC, I just get confused. Is there a way to set a physical controller to automate a plug in option instead of using the pencil tool? I would really like to use a physical controller because it is much faster, and I get a better feel of the groove and writing automation. Like I said though, once I see the numbers about MIDI CC(1), you know numbers like that, that's when I get confused. Please help :)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Help using a MIDI controller to do automation.

Well, you have a problem, and that is that the Behringer is not officially supported as a control surface for Pro Tools. However, you have 2 options if you want to try and use it:

1. it might have a mode where it emulates a supported controller, such as a Mackie HUI. That would be ideal, you'd need to read the manual to find out though, maybe it already does.

2. If it doesn't, but you can program the faders, you could set it up to use the HUI protocol. That's usually a bit of work though, but you'd have a better understanding of MIDI if you did it. The HUI protocol is well documented online.

HINT: Grab the free program call Snoize MIDI monitor, and set it up to monitor the MIDI port your behringer is connected to. Then you can see what MIDI CCs the faders, knobs etc. are outputting on. If you can get them to send on the same CC's as Mackie HUI protocol, you're in good shape.

Once you have the behringer set up to emulate a mackie HUI, all you need to do is go to SETUP -=> PERIPHERALS +> MIDI CONTROLLERS and enable mackie HUI for up to 4 banks of 8 faders, and the behringer will control the first 32 tracks of pro tools, in groups of 8 depending on which bank you select(There is a CC for bank select in the mackie HUI protocol).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Well, you have a problem, and that is that the Behringer is not officially supported as a control surface for Pro Tools. However, you have 2 options if you want to try and use it:

1. it might have a mode where it emulates a supported controller, such as a Mackie HUI. That would be ideal, you'd need to read the manual to find out though, maybe it already does.

2. If it doesn't, but you can program the faders, you could set it up to use the HUI protocol. That's usually a bit of work though, but you'd have a better understanding of MIDI if you did it. The HUI protocol is well documented online.

HINT: Grab the free program call Snoize MIDI monitor, and set it up to monitor the MIDI port your behringer is connected to. Then you can see what MIDI CCs the faders, knobs etc. are outputting on. If you can get them to send on the same CC's as Mackie HUI protocol, you're in good shape.

Once you have the behringer set up to emulate a mackie HUI, all you need to do is go to SETUP -=> PERIPHERALS +> MIDI CONTROLLERS and enable mackie HUI for up to 4 banks of 8 faders, and the behringer will control the first 32 tracks of pro tools, in groups of 8 depending on which bank you select(There is a CC for bank select in the mackie HUI protocol).
Alright so correct me if I'm wrong please. What you're saying, is that I would have to get an HUI, that is supported by Pro Tools right? If that is the case I am a little bit confused on that part since I have no idea what consoles are supported by Pro Tools.

Also, in order for me to use an HUI to control the automation of a plug in, it would need to be a supported HUI by pro tools as said before right? If that's the case I'm gonna go look on Avids website for their HUI controllers as well as 3rd party ones that support PT.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM

You may be able to set up your behringer to use the HUI protocol, that would be ideal for your situation... Otherwise, there are numerous controllers that can emulate a HUI, so you don't necessarily need a mackie hui, just something that can output the hui protocol so pro tools thinks it's talking to a hui. You might want to have a chat with a salesman at a pro audio store, just to see what's out there now... I really haven't shopped for stuff like this for a while, so I'm not really sure what the best ones are.

Otherwise the CM labs motormix and digidesign command 8 are also on the list.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM

I just googled your controller, looks like it has a HUI emulation mode, so you don't need to buy anything else.

Here's a link to the manual for setting it into hui emulation mode:

http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2...tion_modes.pdf

Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I just googled your controller, looks like it has a HUI emulation mode, so you don't need to buy anything else.

Here's a link to the manual for setting it into hui emulation mode:

http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2...tion_modes.pdf
Alright so since the Behringer supports HUI, then I could then use the faders to control individual automation of plug in parameters then, instead of doing it with a mouse right?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 AM

This possible with the hui protocol, But I'm not familiar enough with the behringer to know it's limitations, so you'd have to try it with your controller. The original HUI had a dedicated section for controlling plugin parameters iirc.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
This possible with the hui protocol, But I'm not familiar enough with the behringer to know it's limitations, so you'd have to try it with your controller. The original HUI had a dedicated section for controlling plugin parameters iirc.
Rockguitarist:

I've owned a BCF2000 for several years. I'm not very smart, but I haven't found a way to control plug parameters. I also haven't tried very hard to do so.

Ask for a demo at your dealer and pay close attention... maybe you can 'splain it to me!

Bob