Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Default RTAS performance (specifically waves) with the new intel mac mini

Hi All -

The system that I've had for nearly 5 years is a MDD G4 dual 1.25 with an original MBOX, an old HUI, DVToolkit, 2 monitors, and Waves Gold. Primary application is sound for picture. Track count isn't as much of an issue for me - instead, RTAS performance is. Initially, with ProTools 6 and this rig, I was quite satisfied with the plugin performance with respect to the Waves Plugins. I could have a number of compressors, Q6's, and whatnot without getting USB buffer errors . I could even get about 3 reverbs going before I hit the CPU limit. But then came ProTools 7 - and with the lack of backwards compatability from 6 to 7, my hand was forced to go to PT7. I upgraded to DVToolkit 2 as well. My RTAS plugin performance was cut in half. I tried everything I could think of - I threw in as much RAM as I could into the MDD G4 but to no avail. I was stuck and had to work around the limitations. Mostly, I had to work without picture online, which is a major drag. Springing for a Mac Pro was not in my budget at the time.

Now along comes this new Mac Mini for only $600. ($850 after you fill it with 4 GB of RAM.) And it even supports 2 displays. (I run my quicktime on the second monitor.) It seems to good to be true. I am wondering what kind of RTAS performance I could expect with this machine, ProTools 8 and waves plugins. I am assuming that ProTools 8 will make my old G4 implode. Has anybody out there used this machine for post with moderate to heavy RTAS plugs?

Thanks so much -

Clyde
Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Default Re: RTAS performance (specifically waves) with the new intel mac mini

I'm wondering the same thing cause it's sure less expensive that going for a mac pro.

Is the mac mini more or less powerful than the macbook pro? The laptop has its own appeal.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Re: RTAS performance (specifically waves) with the new intel mac mini

The mini, macbook pro and the imac all use the intel core 2 duo - the mini is the slowest of the bunch at 2 GHz, where the macbook pro starts at 2.4 GHz and goes up from there. Actually, the cheapest imac starts at 2.66 GHz and now supports a second monitor. Kind of overkill for me as I already have 2 displays. The mini is the most appealing "brain in a box" option - but you ask a good question as it made me realize that in terms of raw processor power (which in theory is what RTAS performance is all about), the mini is the wimpiest of the bunch.