Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2001, 09:46 AM

Default A few feature requests:

1) Click Track

It would be nice to have another option when you create a new track: a "click track". You could set the tempo from the track itself in the edit or mix windows, and you could assign the output to any interface, just like an audio track.

In the preferences menu you could choose the type of click sound, and even import your own samples as a default sound. You could also specify a different sample for the downbeat. I don't like dealing with midi very much, so this would be very helpful.

It would also be nice if the meter ruler and the tempo ruler were directly integrated, so you can use automation settings to change the meter and tempo in the middle of the song. You could also use automation to change volume level of the click, and whether the click mutes at specific locations.

2) Import track settings

I don't know if you can do this already, but often I find myself wanting to import the *settings* from a track in another session, but not the audio associated with it. It would be great if, under the "import tracks" command, we could see what plugins were used in the session, and what the settings of those plugins are. Then we could choose to import a specific plugin to a specific track in the current session, or choose to import all the plugins from a specific track. Saving plugin settings is of course an option, but why do we have to completely reopen a previous session to get that information? This would be more convenient.

That's all for now. Thanks Digi.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:36 AM

Default Re: A few feature requests:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by uno1234:

2) Import track settings

I don't know if you can do this already, but often I find myself wanting to import the *settings* from a track in another session, but not the audio associated with it. .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is riding high on my request list!
When doing drum sessions for multiple songs, you create the sound on the first song and wish to transfer just the tracks (no audio) to the following songs.
In the current situation, you have to import the audio too and make sure you remove it and not delete it.

Izhar
Old 09-28-2001, 11:42 AM

To continue the feature requests, this has been bugging me since the early days of PT, and seems stranger since the introduction of multiple undos:

1. No undo to volume (fader) moves (or mutes, etc.)!

I'm sure most of you have been thru this scenario:

You select the group all in order to make an edit on the whole song and then wish to lower the level of the vocals... your whole mix has just changed...
You create a drum group to edit them and then instinctively grab the snare fader...oops!
We need a sort of undo for level changes etc. The only current solution to the above mentionned situations is revert to save, asuuming you save regularily.

Izhar
Old 09-28-2001, 07:57 PM

I broke down and bought quickkeys... I got a shortcut now for bounce to disk, delete selected tracks, show system usage, etc. Very nice.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:56 AM

ditto on the click track. Is there a program out there that can generate an audio file with a specific click tempo for a specified file length? I borrowed a click machine and recorded a few popular ones, but it would be nice to do it all in the computer.

I'd also like a keyboard shortcut for Bounce To Disk.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:21 AM

That drum situation is so familiar. I think it would bo cool to import groups- like say you want to import 8 drum tracks routed to a drum sub. It could have all the routing,panning and plug-ins all set.
Also, I'd like to be able to tell if I'm in Input Only or Auto Input monitoring without having to go to the pulldown menu. Maybe two radio buttons that are by the grid and nudge value display. Thanks Digi! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] -Pete
Old 09-29-2001, 07:59 AM

-On the metronome issue I mostly approve all of the above but I would like to add that an audio generated metronome would be great but *with* a delay feature to have synced with the MIDI click that can unfortunatly be slightly delayed by sloppy MIDI communication
-MIDI wise I would also greatly appreciate if one could scroll through the MIDI notes of the metronome while it is running to search for the right sound instead of having to route a keyboard on the same MIDI output to do that
-As for copying settings from one session to another, I agree this would be GREAT. I also agree that adding a few options to the import tracks might be the right way to go. A weird thing about the copying tracks by the way : it won't allow selecting several tracks that are not contiguous. But maybe I missed something

Mark Haliday
CUSTOM STUDIO
Paris
Old 09-29-2001, 01:56 PM

A little one and easy to implement (or maybe not) - how about "grid strip silence" - I mean strip silence with region start and end snapped to grid - drum editing anyone ? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
And one cannot copy sends [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It's great with plug-ins, and do not work with sends, and I think it will be helpful many times.
Przemek.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:54 AM

And one cannot copy sends It's great with plug-ins, and do not work with sends, and I think it will be helpful many times.

yes yes yes yes.... I second that a million times

Mark Haliday
Old 09-30-2001, 03:42 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by flymax:
Also, I'd like to be able to tell if I'm in Input Only or Auto Input monitoring without having to go to the pulldown menu.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You put a huge smile on my face there... I hate watching my engineers checking that all the time in vocal sessions... Give us a radiobox for that.

Also, was anyone able to import the tempo from another session using "import tracks" or is it my own private bug?

Izhar