Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: ProTools Vs. Logic Pro 7 Vs. DP

hi,
i am using them all. it sounds like you want something you can be up and running on quickly.

pro tools is by far the simplest to use and is best at audio editing. is fine for basic midi. downside you are locked into digidesign hardware/track limitations. if you have some sequencer knowledge you can be up to speed in a couple of weeks.

dp4.5 is moderately straight forward to learn. is extremely powerful, but doesn't have all of customizable features that logic has. i think dp is much better than logic for tracking and mixing audio and is much better than protools for midi. give yourself a couple months to really feel at home with it and know some of the advanced features.

logic...been using it for about 6 months and still find it very cumbersome for me. mainly due to the lack of take lists and audio functionality in the arrange window. however for writing via midi and built in software instruments it blows away the competition. is a very powerful, but strange program. it's a love hate thing for me at this point.

best of luck,
quincy
Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 AM

For great plug ins and VST's go for Logic. Pro tools has so so PLug ins. in my opinion.
Pro Tools LE 6.4
Logic Express 7
Mbox
Old 12-14-2004, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Logic is pain in the ***** to learn. I bought it and sold it a month later. Ableton Live 4 takes care of all my needs.
and now with apple releasing the versions they're starting to trim the ruff edges .............its getting easier to learn now

logic isnt that hard to learn unless you go in thinking its pro tools
Old 12-14-2004, 02:02 PM

You're asking people to answer something that can't really be fully answered... you might wind up finding out the hard way no matter what anyone says.

But for what it's worth, Protools is fast and streamlined, but many say, light in the midi department.

Logic, while powerful, seems to be designed for those who aren't afraid of busy work. You'll be clickin' away to do many tasks.

DP is in the middle i guess.

In my opinion, the most important question is to ask yourself how you want to work.

Are you a straight forward type, or do you want/need more options... reguardless of how long it takes?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:43 PM

Yeah - you need to go try them out somewhere.

I have all three, honestly not one has quite nailed it. I'm using Logic lately because I'm doing alot of Soft Synths/Samplers. I'm using some CPU hungry stuff - Bosendorfer 290 - Personal Orchestra and I really like the freeze function.

If I go back to mostly audio I'd find myself using ProTools (if I expected a lot of editing). If you get creative Logic will do what you want with audio editing but most (including myself sometimes) don't want to. Logic has a steep learning curve- much of which seems illogical. Once you get the method to it madness it's clear but not necessarily more logical than PT or DP from a GUI standpoint.

So I guess we're all saying the same thing.

C
Old 12-14-2004, 07:31 PM

Quote:
you tell logic how you want it to work according to your needs
I think Logic's "customizability" is its greatest downfall from a GUI standpoint. Too much clutter, too many options, too many windows, ugh.

Gimme a mix window, an edit window, a handful of faders on a controller and let me do my thing.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
you tell logic how you want it to work according to your needs
I think Logic's "customizability" is its greatest downfall from a GUI standpoint. Too much clutter, too many options, too many windows, ugh.

Gimme a mix window, an edit window, a handful of faders on a controller and let me do my thing.
The simplicity of Pro Tools can be a great thing, true. But after getting comfortable with Logic, Pro Tools can be shockingly sparce. In Logic you can do just about everything in one place, but you have the option to customize. That doesn't mean you have to even look at the extra options.

I'd rather have them than not.

That said, I'm not sure I'd give up either one.
Logic Pro 7
PT LE 6.4
Old 12-14-2004, 10:35 PM

Quote:
For great plug ins and VST's go for Logic. Pro tools has so so PLug ins. in my opinion.
doesn't logic use audio units? either way- the only really really great soft synths in logic are the EVP88 and ultrabeat- ultrabeat kind of sucks 'casue you can't load anuthing other than factory kits, and the EVP88 can now be gotten in VST version. When you factor that in and note that logic seems to be going towards a sort of ilife transformation (garageband compatible????) and is $1000, digital performer is such a great alternative. I was leafing through the manual tonight (the BIG PAPER manual...not the S*****y Pro tools PDF) and the capability of this program is amazing.