Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-12-2022, 03:07 AM

Default How to autoroute tracks when moved to, or created in Routing Folder?

Is there any way (keyboard shortcut or modifier) to autoroute tracks when moved to, or created in routing folder?

I love routing folder but I would like to get a popup when drag´n drop a track to a routing folder that ask "Do you what to rout this track to Routing folder busses?" or something like that.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:04 AM

Default Re: How to autoroute tracks when moved to, or created in Routing Folder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PN2013 View Post
Is there any way (keyboard shortcut or modifier) to autoroute tracks when moved to, or created in routing folder?

I love routing folder but I would like to get a popup when drag´n drop a track to a routing folder that ask "Do you what to rout this track to Routing folder busses?" or something like that.
I'd quite like this as well

ALSO VCA FOLERS
Old 05-12-2022, 06:26 AM

Default Re: How to autoroute tracks when moved to, or created in Routing Folder?

++++1 for that feature

I 100% always want tracks within a routing folder to be routed to that folder. I always thought it was a bit goofy that this wasn't the case.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:41 AM

Not sure about moving tracks into existing folders, but when you create a routing folder, there is a checkbox.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-12-2022, 11:18 AM

Yes, that checkbox is my new best friend.
But after you have all yours e.g SFX-tracks there and you move a track to that routing folder or want to add a new track in it, it is not unreasonable to imagine that the user also wants these tracks to be routed to the same output as all the other tracks in the same routing folder. So a popup asking if that is the case would be great.

I think 98% of everyone who uses routing folders now will have to manually redirect new tracks to the right output. And all of a sudden the mix sounds weird because you missed to do that.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:59 AM

I agree with you, and I also think the checkbox should default to being checked. In the meantime, I suggest you treat the additional tracks as if you are going to route thru an AUX(the old-fashioned method) but do this BEFORE you drag and drop into the folder. Also, when possible, build this into session templates

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-12-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not sure about moving tracks into existing folders, but when you create a routing folder, there is a checkbox.
That is correct but as you add additional tracks to that routing folder, they do not automatically change their output to the folder. It's screwed me up a few times. It seems it would be an Extremely rare case that one wouldn't want all tracks in a routing folder to go out that folder output. Maybe in PT 2023.4? :)
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:22 PM

This kind of thing is why I haven't really implemented folders into my workflow yet. There is too much room for error in a big session that something won't be routed as intended, and if the session gets passed off to another engineer or producer, it will be a headache to find the routing error. I've been on the other end of that a few times and it can be a headache.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
That is correct but as you add additional tracks to that routing folder, they do not automatically change their output to the folder. It's screwed me up a few times. It seems it would be an Extremely rare case that one wouldn't want all tracks in a routing folder to go out that folder output. Maybe in PT 2023.4? :)
The problem is what happens here and there needs to be some pop-up windows or modifier key that shows deliberation like when you remove a track from a VCA: when a track is being removed from a routing folder, a question on what happens with the folder's automation to that individual track should be asked (discard/coalesce) and when moving a track into a pre-existing routing folder some kind of key should be necessary to tell it to route into it because you could lose all kinds of automation (for instance, different channel widths.)

Manually doing it as current makes sure the mix doesn't change in unintended ways just because a track was reordered. (I have seen people move tracks into routing folders thinking they are basic folders.)
Old 05-12-2022, 01:49 PM

Just duplicate any track in the routing folder when you need more tracks. Any bussing will be retained in the duplicate track and you can duplicate without the media.