Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 12:41 AM

Default SC48 lost left and right buss

Hi. First time posting here but I visit occasionally. I'm running a large show 20,000 people per night. Tonight was show #2 out of 10 shows. The console has been fine for ten days of rehearsal. Tonight we powered up and no signal from any channel was passing to left and right buss. No left right meter either. VCA's were up, tried channels that weren't on VCA, and nothing. I have some program audio outs fed Via matrix off the LR buss and they passed audio. Checked the patch and all was assigned correctly. Then I tried sending pink via the onboard generator (not plug in) and that did pass audio with meters.
This was 2 minutes before show start with timecode, pyro, etc all ready to go.
At that point all I had was stop the show and do a reboot. Rebooted and everything came back and worked.
Stressfulest 2 minutes of my life!
Any advice on what could have happened?
I have a comp plug in inserted on LR. Just standard Avid one, and a Graph also. Desk is 1 year old and pristine.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 AM

Default Re: SC48 lost left and right buss

Well of course that would happen----- don't you know that everything is supposed to work in rehearsal and only minutes before the show it's supposed to fail? IT WOULDN'T BE LIVE SOUND IF THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!! To me it sounds like a plugin may have gone bonkers, I've had that happen on a Pro Tools HD system for a live broadcast before.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 PM

So actually you are saying you did not loose the bus (as you said matrixes that got signal from LR bus worked) but main output? Seems very strange, as without main output working the matrixes should have been dead as well... You said no metering.. that makes it even more bizarre.

I have had problems running digital from Venue to Meyer Sound processor.. twice now I have seen this with different consoles. First time it was a D-Show system that I got some occasional clicks and pops with, second time it was a summer festival couple of weeks ago.. Profile and Meyer. One of the international main acts just starting and the PA goes like every each of the speakers is broken. arrrghhh...! I guess if I hadn't been there it would have taken much more time to figure out what the hell happened, but I was and I instantly thought well it's Venue-Galileo once again not playing along. But this time it really sounded extremely awful! Total distortion. Now I personally run exclusively analog out from Venues. I don't know if it's Meyer's or Venues fault, but I have never heard of Yamaha desks doing that with this Meyer system... so the finger wants to point to....
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Are you positive the plug-ins were done registering? I know mine takes a bit to become "READY" because I'm running about 80+ plugs in the rack at a time. Half of the time, it won't pass audio through the main L/R bus, but will still pass through to Matrices/PQ's/Aux's.

My guess is that one of you DSP cards needs to be checked or like Brad said it is a plug-in that maybe was tried to read a 2 in a binary string, haha. The on-board oscillator is post-plugins, graphic eq's. It also could have been something in the DSP's. I'd run a DigiTest (Options>System>DigiTest) and ensure everything is ok. Other thing to do is, play audio through it for an extended amount of time and see if it will flake out again. I'd immediately prepare a log to send off to digi if that happens again.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM

What version of the software are you running?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM

Hi. It's running 2.8.5.241
I'm not running a lot of plug ins at all, just some digirack comps, a couple reverb 1. Couple parametrics, nothing fancy. It isn't that kind of show.
I get the feeling the comp plug in didn't load properly. Honestly I didn't watch the desk boot so I didn't see the plugin loader bar or errors.
I'll be watching it every time now! I just fired it up and so far so good. Audio is sending as normal. Show in an hour.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah, that is probably what it is, it is just measly software when you get down to it. But I'd still run Digitest if you haven't done so in awhile, just to be sure and you have some down time.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Avid

Hi,

Stressful indeed - sorry to hear you were in the hot seat.

That's definitely not common behavior, so please contact the support team at (650) 731-6111 or venuesupprt(at)avid(dot)com so they can get more info.

In the meantime, you should definitely download and apply v2.8.6, in order to ensure all critical fixes are applied:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298439

Sheldon
Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 AM

Thanks Sheldon. The console has been behaving fine now. I'm just watching it boot every time and doing pre-show tests. I'll do the upgrades to all the consoles at the shop when we get downtime. I wasn't aware there was one. Upgrades in the middle of a show run freak me out.
5 more to go and on to the next.
If you're around Capitol Ex next week we'll be at Telus stage with a couple profiles. Love to meet you if you're in town.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Avid

Sounds good. I won't make it down to the Capitol Ex, but will be back for Folk Fest in August. Maybe see you then...

Sheldon