Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-31-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Recording from the full sized Venue D-Show

Hey guys, a stupid question here, that I know I should know the answer to.

But, what's the standard way to interface a computer for recording to the old full sized Venue D-Show system?

The local symphony is playing their Christmas show at one of the local colleges here instead of my building. So I'm going over there to run sound for them and record the show.

Is there any chance that I will be able to connect my laptop to the D-Show system and record straight to Protools 12.8? Or am I going to be limited to a Mac and some stupid old version of Protools to make this work?

My laptop, which you can see in my signature, has a 34mm express card slot, so I can get a Firewire adapter card if need be.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-01-2017, 03:22 AM
Avid

Default Re: Recording from the full sized Venue D-Show

If the FOH rack has FWx card, then you can record 32 channels via Firewire.
If the FOH rack has 1 or 2 MDx cards, then you have 64 MADI channels per card if you can find how to record from MADI to your laptop.
If the FOH rack has 1 or 2 HDx cards, then you have 64 channels per card, but it requires connection to PT via DigiLink cables.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:01 AM

As Valentyn said, you need a card in the Venue, there are several options, only option for easy recording is the FireWire card but that is limited to 32 channels, it is possible to record a total of 128 channels from D-Show but you need HDx or MADI cards in the Venue for that number and on the computer side you need a HDX system with enough cards to have the number of I/O you want from the Venue.

In my case I do track 64 channels of audio from Venue using a laptop so, for that I have a HDx card in the Venue, then I have HD Native Thunderbolt interface with the Laptop and two DigiLink cables connecting the HDx cards in the Venue to the HD Native Thunderbolt. Check the pics of the card and the HDN TB interface online and you should understand and see that HDx card has 2 "32 channel" ports and so does the HD Native have 2 "32 channel" ports. They are slightly different in size so with the DigiLink cables you need 2 adapters on the one end that converts the "bigger" connector to smaller one found on the HD Native Thunderbolt.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Okay, so if there is a firewire card in the console, then I should be able to record straight to my laptop like any other audio interface? Will that work with Protools vanilla on Windows 10 also? Or am I going to be hitting version incompatibility?

I'm probably only going to be recording 16 to 20 channels at most for this show so I'm not worried about a 32 channel limit here.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 11-02-2017, 04:33 AM
Avid

Some info:

The card itself: http://www.avid.com/products/venue-fwx-option-card
Card manual: http://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/fil...20170331131509

A driver for FWx card in VENUE (to be installed on laptop) and manual for it, including system requirements: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/z...nload/zh435951
Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 PM

I finally got to inspect the console set up.

Looks like they are running a Mac Pro 5.1 and Protools HD 10.3.2 with two HD Accel cards (though they are identified as HDX card in the Protools Hardware set up window). No Firewire option.

I think I will probably just record to their Mac Pro, and then transfer my session to my external SSD.

Incidentally, can this set up be upgraded to Protools HD 12?

These are the cards in the Mac Pro:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171117_114734206-2.jpg (71.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I finally got to inspect the console set up.

Looks like they are running a Mac Pro 5.1 and Protools HD 10.3.2 with two HD Accel cards (though they are identified as HDX card in the Protools Hardware set up window). No Firewire option.

I think I will probably just record to their Mac Pro, and then transfer my session to my external SSD.

Incidentally, can this set up be upgraded to Protools HD 12?

These are the cards in the Mac Pro:
There is nothing wrong recording to their system! This is Accel hardware so PT10 is max they can run and it’s perfectly fine for recording and mixing. Just make sure the HDD’s are capable enough, If there are USB3 ports on the mac you could track direct to your SSD but I guess this is older mac without the USB3. You might need firewire 800 drives or internal additional audio only drives. Don’t forget to turn off indexing. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:11 PM

If you wanna use HD12 remember that all the older cards won't work, I mean Will Not Work and there are no workarounds. You would need a Native card or the Native Thunderbolt box or a HDX card in order to work with HD12.

Above HD10 you would need new card/s.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————