How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Creating Custom Keyboard Tones Based on Reference Sounds

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to ProTools and have PT10 with SampleTank & SampleTron for my tones.

I'd like to create some custom keyboard tones based on, or inspired by, tones used in songs by some well-known rock bands.

Overall I'm going for warm, fuzzy tones, dark, dampened, low, strange, lo-fi, eerie. Think along the lines of keyboard sounds from The Doors, My Bloody Valentine, Suicide, Clinic, Radiohead, Black Keys, etc.

Being that I'm not a sound engineer, what is the best way to achieve these sounds? Are there people whom I can hire to get these tones for me, or is it a matter of acquiring some plugins to work with my tone banks, and adding effects like EQ, fuzz, compressor, etc? Would it take a while to achieve these sounds being that the Mac-based DAW and Pro Tools world are relatively new to me?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Creating Custom Keyboard Tones Based on Reference Sounds

Hi, the best way is to find out what keyboards and synths were used by the original bands, then get Vi synths that have patches that emulate them. For example, if the original band the Doors used a Rhodes keyboard, then its easy to get a Rhodes emulator synth, or even other synths that offer Rhodes presets that you can customize. Then you are in the ballpark for Doors sounds.

You do need to do some homework and find out where to start. And thats what original keyboards were used. There are many many synths that have their own unique characteristics, Fairlight, Rhodes, Hammond organ, Moog, Sinclavier, Roland Juno, Oberheim OB8, etc,etc,etc.

Thats the place to start. then look for Vis and synths that have patches and emulators for those Keyboards. Then you can try altering the sounds with the Synth itself, oscillators, Filters etc, and effects.

sound design is an art and a science, and no easy task, but anyone can play around and experiment and come up with cool unique sounds. Getting a close sound to start is what i would recommend for a beginner.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 07-12-2012, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Creating Custom Keyboard Tones Based on Reference Sounds

The Doors keyboard sounds were mainly a combo organ (Vox or Farfisa will do) and a Fender keyboard bass sat on top of the combo. Google Ray Manzarek (he was their keyboard player) for more help.

QAPLA!