Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Default \"Waiting Sync Point\" trying to chase time code?

Anybody seen "waiting sync point" when trying to slave to LTC with a SYNC I/O?

Here's what we need to do:
Transfer ADATs into ProTools. There are more tapes than we have decks, so to keep them in sync we are trying to slave a ProTools to a BRC via SMPTE and SYNC I/O.

Audio clock:
BRC clocked to 48kHz input, which is fed off the SYNC I/O word clock output.
Audio clock sounds fine and seems to be synced properly.

Positional reference:
BRC Generating SMPTE, goes to SYNC I/O LTC in.
SYNC I/O sees time code, and it agrees with BRC by eye. This also shows up in Session setup window.
Session setup has the SYNC I/O source as LTC
PT is set up to record online at timecode/ADAT lock

When I put the transport into record and go online, I get "waiting for sync" in the lower left corner like I expect. After I start the ADATs it changes to "waiting sync point." After a long time (a minute or more) ProTools may kick into record at the current selection point (not locked to timecode).

My experience with the BRC leads me to wonder if its timecode is flaky, I know that timecode with the BRC is definitely an issue working at 44.1kHz, but I thought it worked right at 48k (which we are). Am I missing something?

PT 7.3.1cs4
PT HD2 Accel
SYNC I/O
Power Mac Dual G5 2.0MHz

[Rough draft junk deleted from here]
Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: \"Waiting Sync Point\" trying to chase time code?

I remember having a similar problem with Pro Tools 6.9. I was trying to slave Pro Tools to MTC, and I was getting a similar "waiting for sync point" message. And I only had this problem while trying to record; in playback, PT slaved to MTC fine. It turned out this was a bug, which was resolved in cs3 update (if I remember correctly).

So, if you're sure that your connections are OK, maybe you should consider updating to a newer version, or rolling back to some of the previous versions. Check to see if Pro Tools slaves to SMPTE in playback - if it does, than it's very likely to be the same bug as before.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 AM

One more piece of info.

Everything works like I expect the first time I launch ProTools. After that I can't get it to sync. So at the moment I'm quitting ProTools between every pass. Clunky, but it works.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Avid

Have you tried trashing preferences yet?

If you open the Session Setup window and look in the upper right - is the incoming time scrolling when you engage playback on the BRC? Do the frame rates match between the BRC and Pro Tools?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Have you tried trashing preferences yet?
I have trashed preferences, and I don't believe it has changed anything.

Quote:
If you open the Session Setup window and look in the upper right - is the incoming time scrolling when you engage playback on the BRC? Do the frame rates match between the BRC and Pro Tools?
Incoming time is scrolling in the session setup window, and matches the BRC time code.
The frame rates match between the two.

I can now reproduce this with a little more precision. It seems that as long as I stay in the audio portion of the ADAT tape, things work fine. But if I cross past 0:00 into the data section, the BRC displays either negative time or "data," while the SYNC I/O and ProTools display time at 23 hours and some minutes. Once I cross this line, ProTools will no longer sync properly until I exit and restart.