Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-07-2001, 03:29 AM

Default Off Topic: Sounds in alphabetical order?...

Post prod° in general being slowing down these days, I'm getting less work but more time to take care of my studio.
So, I'm about to do something I should have done for a long time, classify my (quite huge) sound library in alphabetical order !...(man, this is gonna take a lifetime).
So here's my question (at last!...): does anyone here know what app. I could use in order to be able to just type the sounds names ("Car passing by ", "Museum amb."...) and have them automaticaly sort by alphabetical order ( I don't wannna do this by hand !!!! HELP).
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Off Topic: Sounds in alphabetical order?...

You can do that almost with any program, but i'd would reccomend you the simplest Micorsoft Word.

All you have to do is create a table and insert there all the names (+ anything else you need to keep) and when done, in the same Table menu click in the Sort option...

That's it !
Old 11-07-2001, 10:27 AM

Thanks man, I've never really been into those typing softwares...I'll do this.

Now, all I have to do is to begin typing the thousands sounds I have...I'm so glad...
I'll start tomorrow...or the day after...or...
Old 11-07-2001, 10:38 AM

MR. T,

Have you thought of Excel? I think you could even Import the names into "cells" in excel. Just a shot in the dark. Maybe you can cut and paste the names of the sounds from one monitor drag them to yuor 2nd monitor where a spreadsheet awaits you dropping them in? (just thinking of new ways to use your new dual display) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2001, 02:05 PM

Umm.. Maybe Im confused, but, If you type the names in on a file. they default to alphabetical order. What I am I missing?
Old 11-07-2001, 02:58 PM

Come on Chomp., wake up, it's late morning already (want a cup of coffee?) ! I was not mentionning files from folders. I was talking about typing text in, let's say, Simple Text or Word.
When you're typing a letter in such documents, do all the words sort by alphabetical order? If yes, your letters must sound pretty weird !!
(it could start like this: "Are Friend Going Hello How My You ?").

PS: Hi Kris, I'm more and more enjoying the (Twin) View ! Thanks.
The Copy/paste wouldn't work since the sounds names are quietly sitting on something like 50 differents Sound Library CD back covers...