Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Default ProTools Installation problem

I purchased the ProTools 10 & 11 combo. Everything is fine until I start the installation of 11.3 by running Setup.exe (Windows 7, 64-bit). I get an error message that the installation will stop because Avid Ethernet Support (x64) cannot be found. What do I do to fix this? Avid support is no help because their online support form won't accept some of my answers to their "mandatory questions" and the support phone number reports "not in service."
Old 04-06-2015, 02:44 PM

Default Re: ProTools Installation problem

Could be a corrupt installer. Go into your Avid account and ensure the file size on your local machine looks about the right size.

Are you installing as Admin? If not, try right clicking on the setup.exe and choosing Run as Admin.

If that doesn't work, make sure everything was extracted from the zip file. I like to use a third party decompression tool like 7-zip.

Let us know how it goes.

System Details
Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM

I downloaded a fresh copy of the Windows 11.3 installer from my avid account and copied it to two folders: Protools and Protools2. I unzipped the installer in Protools with BitZipper and the one in Protools2 with 7-Zip. 9950 files in Protools and 9934 in Protools2 -- why the difference?

Setup.exe the same in both folders: 1,489,016 bytes. I ran Setup.exe from each folder and still got the same error message: Avid Ethernet Support (x64) not found. I'm the administrator but I still tried right-clicking Setup.exe and running it as administrator but still got the same error.

What next or do I just give up and write off the cost of ProTools to experience?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 AM

Is User Account Control enabled? If so, disable it and then try installing after a restart.

Also, just extract the folder as is and install from your download folder.
It's important to keep the installer folder tree/name short.
Inside the extracted folder you will find the "Pro Tools" folder.
Drag that folder out of the longer named folder to "Downloads" or "Documents".

The installer will then use "Downloads/Pro Tools" as the base directory from which it installs.
Otherwise, you could get errors because the directory/file names are too long when it's extracting and installing.
But that is only an issue if the installer alerts you to that.
Just letting you know since you are creating extra "Pro Tools" folders.

Are you installing 11.3 or 11.3.1?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Trying to install ver 11.3.1

I've been busy with other things and out of town but I finally got around to trying all your latest suggestions but I still get the same error -- Ethernet support not found so installation stops. There has got to be some solution for this problem, but I don't know how to find it.

Any more suggestions? Thanks, Ron