Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-01-2003, 07:57 AM

Default If I "Remove Unused Regions" after "Consolidate", track won\'t play?

I copied and pasted a region (a long guitar lead) from Track 1 to Track 2. Then, in Track 2 I:

(1) Copied and pasted portions of the region (individual notes) to reposition the notes to improve timing, thereby creating several smaller regions.
(2) Consolidated the regions back into one region.

The result is one region in track 1 and one region in Track 2.

PROBLEMS:
(1) If I now "Select Unused Regions" and then "Clear Unused Regions", Track 2 will not play. Apparently the underlying regions that I created and then consolidated cannot be cleared.

(2) If I deactivate Track 1, I cannot play Track 2. The copy and paste technique apparently left these tracks forever linked.

I like to be able to clean up my session at the end by clearing unused regions and removing unused tracks. Now, I can't do that for fear of losing needed regions.

Is there a better technique I can use, so I don't create these problems for myself?? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-01-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Re: If I "Remove Unused Regions" after "Consolidate", track won\'t play?

You do have Different Voices assigned to each track, yes? you could bounce your new creation into a new sound file, then you'd have a single soundfile instead of alot of little regions that could get lost or inadvertently deleted.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Re: If I "Remove Unused Regions" after "Consolidate", track won\'t play?

vze,
Do I understand you correctly that:

(1) When I (a) copy and paste, or (b) consolidate regions, I am NOT creating new independent sound files (even though the resulting regions have new names).

(2) The only way to make the regions independent (i.e., not linked to other regions) is to Bounce to Disk.

(3) Once I Bounce to Disk, I can be confident the region is now independent of other regions, and I can Clear Unused Regions w/o a problem?

This is a bit of a pain, since I edit and consolidate most regions during editing, so I will have to Bounce to Disk most of my regions after editing. However, if this is the only way I can clean up my session after editing, then so be it. It is better than leaving all the "garbage" in the session.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 04-01-2003, 11:15 AM

There is an Audio Suite Plug-in called,Duplicate, use that.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:49 PM

Sorry, but I'm not clear if the Duplicate plug-in solves my problem. I am under the inpression (probably incorrectly) that Duplicate performs exactly the same function as Consolidate, the only difference being that:

--With the Duplicate plug-in, I have the option to include the new file in my playlist (or not).
--With the Consolidate command, the new file is automatically placed in my playlist.

As I said, I may be wrong. I haven't tried to test this. If the Duplicate plug-in does the job, great. But I do know that the Consolidate command does NOT solve my problem.

Anybody sure on this? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I just don't want to Bounce to Disk if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-02-2003, 02:22 AM

hi el biciclista!

check this thread out

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...=005292#000009
or do a search in the tips+techniques / consolidate

Hope this helps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 07:22 AM

imi,
Thanks, that is a useful thread, but it doesn't address my specific issue:

When I "Clear Unused Regions", some regions are cleared which are essential to me session.

In other words, some tracks won't play after I do it. I am trying to understand specifically why this happens and how best to avoid it. I haven't found this discussed anywhere.

Am I the only person experiencing this? I must be doing something really stupid. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-02-2003, 07:36 AM

Clear Unused Regions removes (or deletes, depending on your selection) regions from the region bin that do not appear in a track.

Consolidate concatenates the highlighted regions, utterly destroying the data that is in the source file for those regions, but outside the data actually in the selected regions.

In simpler terms, Consolidate says "Throw out everything else in this file ( or these files) except for these regions and shorten the file accordingly, discarding all unselected data."
Old 04-02-2003, 08:09 AM

In continuing to search thru old threads, I found this one

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...=016502#000002

which says:
In the region bin select "unused regions except for whole sound files".

Am I causing my problem by selecting "unused regions" rather than the above?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 AM

Hello. Cyclist I see a couple of things which may be happening here. First, if Track 1 and 2 are grouped, making one inactive will make all inactive I believe. As was pointed out before, if they are both assigned to the same voice, you will only hear one, the one on top (left in the Mix window).

Consolidating. What it does is it creates a new 'whole' file to disk. You will see it bold in your regions bin. However, you are correct that if you clear unused regions they will, clear, be removed. In the dialog box that comes up you can choose to remove them from the sessions or delete them completely. When clearing unused regions always use 'unused regions except whole files'. After that, if there are other whole files not being used, you can pick and choose what to do with those.

Mark Reis, consolidating regions does not in any way shape or form destroy or delete other audio files. Let's say you do 5 takes of a V/O for a commercial called V/O 1, V/O 2, etc. You create the commercial from regions from all 5 files. Once the keeper take is done you choose consolidate. A new file is created, to disk, with the regions you choose from the different takes, in effect the keeper take. However, no audio files are deleted or destroyed in any way shape or form. I wasn't clear from your second sentence if that's what you were saying. Any way, just clearing that up.

El biciclista, it's very possible when you cleared unused regions you may have removed actual audio files. Consolidate is a very powerful tool, but you have to be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot. Good luck!