Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 12:52 AM

Default configuring AMS

Anyone know how to connect an synth to another synth's thru port in AMS.

For example... I want to connect a Motif rack's midi In, to a Triton keyboard's (midi Thru). How does one assign this in AMS? I must be missing something because I can't get this to work. (BTW, I ran out of ports on my midi interface, so I can't go direct.) Thanks!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: configuring AMS

As I'm sure you already know, the MIDI Thru port on a device simply sends on a copy of whatever arrives at the MIDI In port of that same device to whatever is connected to the MIDI Thru port. There is no way that I can see to establish this relationship in AMS. AMS does not appear to support the concept of the MIDI Thru port. You can attach the Motif to the Triton and the Motif will respond to any MIDI messages that are sent to the Triton (if it can respond to such messages), but the way MIDI Thru works, there is no way to send separate MIDI messages to the two different devices, so even if AMS had a way to represent this, you can't have the Triton ignore the message and pass it on to the Motif. So a patch change that you intend only for the Motif (for example), would also be received by the Triton and the Triton would respond (if it can respond to that patch change message) and vice versa.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the reply, I thought I was missing something since this was included in OMS.

Of course I can assign certain channels (on the same port) to each synth to get this to work. The only thing is they won't be properly labeled at the channel in Protools.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:21 PM

I keep wondering whether there is some setting in the middev file that will indicate that a device has a MIDI Thru port, but I can't find any detailed documentation beyond just showing you how to copy one of the existing middev files and modify it so that PT can find the corresponding midnam file. I'm sure you tried creating an additional Out port in AMS for your Triton but found that you couldn't draw a connection to the In port on the Motif. I thought maybe changing the CanRoute attribute in the middev file to "true" might allow such a connection, but it didn't seem to work for me. It sure seems to me like there should be some way to define such a connection since it is part of the MIDI standard...