Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Default "CPU overload"?

I just got Pro Tools 9 recently and I keep getting this error while recording. It persists regardless of my buffer size and I have not installed or used any plugins. I'm running on a brand-new 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM. I hesitate to say that the hardware is the issue because I've never had a problem like this on similarly powered or even lower powered systems before. I'm also using an M-Audio Profire 610 with the newest drivers. Help?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Default Re: "CPU overload"?

it's the software not your computer, Pro Tools 8 had several issues like this on some computers but got fixed through updates. Anytime you buy brand new software you should know you are just a beta tester, updates will come soon though. also it could be your interface is it USB or Firewire?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
also it could be your interface is it USB or Firewire?
It's Firewire.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Out of curiosity, does Pro Tools check for and install updates automatically, or do I have to apply them manually when they're released?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail View Post
Out of curiosity, does Pro Tools check for and install updates automatically, or do I have to apply them manually when they're released?
Hi,

You have to update your plugins manually!! and its very important to have the latest updates installed.

Your issue could be caused by the number of Processors set for RTAS playback, you must have it set to an odd number 1/3/5/7 etc as certain RTAS plugs don't like the even 2/4/6/8 setting for processors.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 AM

There have not been any updates yet for PT9, and it is working fine for most people. There must be something else going on that's causing problems.

Are you recording to an external hard drive? Because that's one of the basic requirements. You don't want to be recording to just the system drive.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 AM

Question: How are you Recording? 96Khz/24bit, 48Khz/24bit, 44.1Khz/24bit... How you Record can change the way your system responds. I found when I recorded at 96Khz/24bit I had all kinds of CPU issues but them I switched to Recording at 48Khz/24bit and now I have Zero CPU issues.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 AM

Arrow Re: "CPU overload"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail View Post

I just got Pro Tools 9 recently and I keep getting this error while recording. It persists regardless of my buffer size and I have not installed or used any plugins. I'm running on a brand-new 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM. I hesitate to say that the hardware is the issue because I've never had a problem like this on similarly powered or even lower powered systems before. I'm also using an M-Audio Profire 610 with the newest drivers. Help?
WOW That looks exactly like my sessions were looking. One track, just trying to record. PT9 would stop recording often with the same message! ONE TRACK NO PLUG-INS!!! Don't want to hi-jack your thread with my problem, but it's strange yet weirdly comforting seeing it happen to someone else.

Good Luck, if you fix it puh-lease post how!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Hi Gorilla and everyone. My last two days have been entirely dedicated to the 6085 and 6101 CPU issues with PT 9. I just sent a support email to the Avid guys and I hope they'll reply soon.
I haven't solved yet, but here's the text. Good luck to everyone with this. Hopefully they'll find a way and a PT 9.1 update will solve this.

Dear Avid support guys,

I am experiencing a non stop -6085 error in PT 9 as I attempt to play a sequence.
Here's what I tried :

- Checked playback engine. Tried to change settings.

-Checked CPU system and UAD dsp usage. Both very low. tried with a clean sequence, with very few plugins. (find attached pics)

- Tried to change the firewire chain. (mac-mbox3pro-hd and mac-hd-mbox2pro)

- Tried mac without the mbox2 pro and, although the error took a bit longer to show up, it did (I mainly got -6101's without the mbox2 pro).

- Tried all the Avid troubleshooting procedures and system optimizations, and
read many threads on both Duc.avid and gearslutz.

-Checked all plugins versions, upgraded and cleaned up moving unused ones away

-Uninstalled pro Tools 9 8 to 9 crossgrade and reinstalled PT 9 full installer.

-reinstalled the mbox 2 pro driver for PT9

-Tried opening other sessions, even one without plugins.

-Tried removing the UAD 2 solo laptop card

- Tried changing Hard Drive, copied some sessions onto another firewire 400 Lacie

- Tried replacing cables.

No success whatsoever. I keep on getting -6085. Sometimes just quitting Pro Tools and restarting solves only for a few minutes, then the -6085 shows up again.
Also resetting PRAM helped for a few minutes. But then again -6085 prevents playback.
Believe me I tried everything Avid and other users suggest and I am not new to these issues, I am long time Mac and Pro Tools user on both Mbox2pro and HD.
Please help soon

Thanks a lot

My system experiencing the problem:

Macbook Pro 15" 2.16, 2 gb ram
Mbox 2 pro
HD firewire Lacie d2 500 GB connected via firewire 400 port

PT 9
UAD 2 solo laptop

PS this system worked perfectly and very stable with PT 8. Also my other system with the very same Lacie hard drive, Mac Pro Quad, Avid MboxPro and PT 9 works very well so far.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:42 AM

Hi Sail & Filobus. Well, I think it's safe to say this isn't a one time rare happening. Strange you guys are getting it on your Mac Book Pros and I was getting it on a Mac Pro. Looks like it doesn't matter what hardware we use... I have FireBox.... Sail has M-Audio and you have MBox Pro 2

I was using a friends setup ( I really really want to buy my own ) on my computer. Hopefully a fix or update is not far off in the future. One thing I didn't try someone mentioned was 48 /24 record and playback. Danggit! Well, next time I get PT 9 here I will try that first!

Good Luck all. I'm sure Digi will have a Team on this dilemma soon!