Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Default USB audio interface works better when plugged in directly rather than through a hub.

I am running M-Powered Pro Tools 8 with Windows 7 64 bit and an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra audio interface. Every so often it would just crash and lock up my computer. I had the Fast Track plugged into a USB hub and I thought I would try not using the hub and going directly into one of the computer USB ports. That was a couple of days ago and it has been rock solid ever since. No more crashes. I thought I would pass this along in case this might help someone else.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Re: USB audio interface works better when plugged in directly rather than through a h

OK I spoke too soon. It's still crashing. The crashing is occurring when I use the Alicia's Keys piano in Kontakt. I'm trying a different piano to see if Native Instruments is the culprit. M-Audio interface is plugged back in the hub.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 AM

Default Re: USB audio interface works better when plugged in directly rather than through a h

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
OK I spoke too soon. It's still crashing. The crashing is occurring when I use the Alicia's Keys piano in Kontakt. I'm trying a different piano to see if Native Instruments is the culprit. M-Audio interface is plugged back in the hub.
The hub is still a bad idea...

It is highly NOT recommended to use ANY audio interface through a USB hub. It's still likely that some of your crashes were related to that.

NI also tends to be a problem child with Pro Tools.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 AM

I had issues just having a hub plugged into the computer for iLok and keyboard. The hub is a bad idea.
M-Audio Firewire 410 via Digi-Qualified SIIG FireWire 2-Port ExpressCard {NN-EC2012-S1}
Glyph 050Q 500GB via eSATA
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM

I was playing with the Alicia's Keys piano and Kontakt every time I got the crashes. When it crashed it would loop a small section of the audio and nothing else would work. No keyboard or mouse response. No nothing. I've been working without Kontakt loaded and the audio interface plugged into the hub. I'm hearing a little occasional crackling in the M-Audio interface that I believe might be related to going through the hub, but no crashing.

Has anyone got experience using VST versions of NI software through the fXpansion wrapper instead of the RTAS versions? If so, is it less crash prone that way?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I was playing with the Alicia's Keys piano and Kontakt every time I got the crashes. When it crashed it would loop a small section of the audio and nothing else would work. No keyboard or mouse response. No nothing. I've been working without Kontakt loaded and the audio interface plugged into the hub. I'm hearing a little occasional crackling in the M-Audio interface that I believe might be related to going through the hub, but no crashing.

Has anyone got experience using VST versions of NI software through the fXpansion wrapper instead of the RTAS versions? If so, is it less crash prone that way?
From what I hear, wrapping the VST versions is a bit more stable.

I still would NOT recommend using your interface through a HUB though... it's specified in your user manuals, in the troubleshooting section, etc, etc...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515