Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 PM

Default Re: being the masochist i am....

Keybeeetsss, on a very serious note...I see you are from Nashville. Did the flood effect you? I am a Board Governor of the FLA chapter of NARAS and if you or any of your friends need assistance, please contact the MusicCares arm of NARAS for assistance. They are very cool and ready and able to help and assist musicians and studio owners in distress. I just played a show there last week, I am also the guitarist for FOGHAT. There is very helpful and private assistance available for all Nashville musicians and music professionals affected by the current disaster. Don't forget the national community of professional musicians are there for you and your Nashville colleagues.

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbassett View Post
Keybeeetsss, cool I was thinking of takin my PPC to 7.4 instead of 8..ADC was my main issue due to parallel compression I like to do on drums. I love my TL plugs...Space and drum rehab. Most other 8.0 upgrades didn't mean much to me
bb
To be honest I can't or I will jus say I don't like workin in 7.4 anymore but we keep it because of havin to get a new computer, Legacy stuff would then be null & void, etc...

As for ADC & parallel comp on my LE rig, I use API2500 ITB so I don't hav any issues there @all...

Quote:
...I do vocal comps etc. old school...multiple takes ..cut and past to a master track etc...my system is rock solid ..really don't want to mess with it too much. I was very intrigued with the BLA ext clock though as opposed to or in addition to their external summing. Checking out the Dangerous Audio stuff too.
I absolutely love the new comp features in 8... but I understand ur workflow is what it is so I can see not messing with that...

& I hadn't personally heard the D~box, but I "hear" good things about it...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I have to mention Mellowmuse software...they have a parallel compressor that is killer...no bussing just a mix control...they also have a great low processor intensive ir reverb and and a smooth eq....and ATA a ping based LE ADC based solution.

OK ext clocking ....opinions?
I hav ATA but I don't use it much as I don't really need to... It does work tho...

I hadn't even really paid attention to their other plugs TBO...

On EXT clocking, thatz a big plus even on 192's if u hav a goood clock so that would enhance any system pretty much...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Keybeeetsss, on a very serious note...I see you are from Nashville. Did the flood effect you? I am a Board Governor of the FLA chapter of NARAS and if you or any of your friends need assistance, please contact the MusicCares arm of NARAS for assistance. They are very cool and ready and able to help and assist musicians and studio owners in distress. I just played a show there last week, I am also the guitarist for FOGHAT. There is very helpful and private assistance available for all Nashville musicians and music professionals affected by the current disaster. Don't forget the national community of professional musicians are there for you and your Nashville colleagues.
Yeah my biz partner got som of the info about that; I myself am from & live in Memphis(part of NARAS as well) but jus hav a piece of a studio in Nashville; I'm there often though since it's rite down the road; Heck, me & my partner meet in Jackson @ STARBUCKS every other week or so...

But yeah, thank God, we were OK because of how the studio sits; its up a hill but rite @ the end of the drive which is pretty long, it was flooded pretty bad...

Its really amazing how things happen; I wake up every morn thankong him & jus sayin u never kno what, when & where' can happen...

But thanks tho for caring...

There's quite a bit of Nashville guys on here though, but I don't kno if anyone was affected or not...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
... Plus Nuendo does have this decidedly analog fatness that PT does not.

BB
Hi Bryan,

it maybe difficult to explain, so please bear with me as I don't have any experience with Nuendo: What do you mean by analog fatness?

By the way, I have the BLA Tweak Head mod and can confirm what KB said!

Thanks
Thomas
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM

Good mornz Thomas

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 AM

Good morning guys...it got late and I fell out of the conversation last nite.
TCM ..describing "analog fatness" as in trying to describe anything aural is hard to put into words. But I worked for 15 years in a 2" tape based studio and I guess the best way to describe it is my Nuendo tracking reminded me sonically of my old tape days. But there are quite a few variables between my setup and my friends Nuendo setup..probably too many to pinpoint software as the only factor. But low end and midrange clarity and tightness is the most evident difference. Hence my looking into external clocking for my system as a remedy. I'm still a bit puzzled about the gain structure. I basically mix the same in Nuendo and PT and the mixes coming out of Nuendo are about 6 db louder than my PT mixes. Internal summing gain structure? I don't know...curious about it though.
bb

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post

OK, seriously BB, I think ur totally rite about the sound of Nuendo; I've always thought that if Nuendo & PT were WWE Superstars, Nuendo would kick PT's arse...

Now show me the Carfax

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Good mornz Thomas
Mornin, KB. It is always a pleasure to see you here!

Quote:
Good morning guys...it got late and I fell out of the conversation last nite.
TCM ..describing "analog fatness" as in trying to describe anything aural is hard to put into words. But I worked for 15 years in a 2" tape based studio and I guess the best way to describe it is my Nuendo tracking reminded me sonically of my old tape days. But there are quite a few variables between my setup and my friends Nuendo setup..probably too many to pinpoint software as the only factor. But low end and midrange clarity and tightness is the most evident difference. Hence my looking into external clocking for my system as a remedy. I'm still a bit puzzled about the gain structure. I basically mix the same in Nuendo and PT and the mixes coming out of Nuendo are about 6 db louder than my PT mixes. Internal summing gain structure? I don't know...curious about it though.
bb
I understand the difficulty, but I am grateful that you tried to describe your experience, as I never worked with Nuendo or Cubase.
I really appreciate such a balanced explanation without hyping anything, just your impression. That's professional.

And thanks, KB, you basically confirmed Bryan's statement.

Quote:

OK, seriously BB, I think ur totally rite about the sound of Nuendo; I've always thought that if Nuendo & PT were WWE Superstars, Nuendo would kick PT's arse...
By the way KB, I tried to find PT's arse......
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post

By the way KB, I tried to find PT's arse......

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY