Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 AM

Default digidesign database folder

Hello

I've been watching the forum a lot lately since I upgraded to PT8. Lots of fuss out there. I read a while ago that deleting the digidesign database folder was an action that could help improve performance. I keep deleting the folders (I manually delete them by going to MY COMPUTER opening the discs and dleting em). They keep coming back. Should this be happening? Are they doing anything anyway? I open them and there's never anything in them as far as I can see. Didn't matter too much with 7.4 but with 8 I need all the help I can get ... it's picky and unpredictable. I'm going to do all the tweaking I can before I really cry out for help ... so ...as regards the database folders help would be appreciated.

Matt
Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Avid

Default Re: digidesign database folder

Deleting databases won't 'improve performance' unless you're getting a specific error related to a corrupted database. If you aren't, there is no good reason to delete those folders and, yes, they will come back as Pro Tools will recreate them if they aren't found upon launch.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Thankyou

Matt
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
there is no good reason to delete those (Digidesign Database) folders and, yes, they will come back as Pro Tools will recreate them if they aren't found upon launch.

Is there a way to force Pro Tools to create them in a certain place? I have an external drive hooked up to my sytem that is completely unrelated to my Digi setup and Pro Tools has been known to throw the Digidesign Database folder on there. It's also thrown it on my "C" drive, my "D" drive...just depends on what mood it's in. My Pro Tools application files reside on the "C" drive - wouldn't that be a logical place for the database files to live? --RH
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM

Pt will place these folders on every drive it recognizes as active, even a thumb drive if you have one available.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the reply Tom...at least I know I'm not doing anything wrong. I don't think it's messing anything up having the digi database folders all over creation...sure seems like it'd be a more streamlined process to have 'em directed to one central location. If for no other reason, to know where to find 'em when Digi inevitably suggests to trash 'em at some point. --RH
Old 05-06-2009, 01:24 AM

You're welcome, but You shouldn't have to delete these files on a regular basis. The whole time I was on 7.4, I never had to do this. Admittedly PT8 had me doing this right after a bad cs1 install (turns out it was a bad cs1), but after clearing that hurdle I’ve never had to do it again.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com