Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Dev > Pro Tools Scripting SDK Toolkit
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2023, 11:41 PM

Default How to use SDK with Pro Tools Intro

I'm brand new to RPC in general, so I don't know how to use the sdk to process commands with the software. Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of how I can make my app use the sdk to process commands? I must build it first? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2023, 10:27 AM
Avid

Default Re: How to use SDK with Pro Tools Intro

Hello,

Yes, the Pro Tools Scripting SDK works with all levels of Pro Tools including Pro Tools Intro.

If you are creating a client app using C++ then you can use the Pro Tools Scripting SDK's included C++ Client Wrapper, which will provide a C++ interface for all of the RPC with Pro Tools. Look at the CppPTSLClient class in the SDK for details about this interface.

To build the C++ Client Wrapper, use the build_cpp_ptsl_sdk.py build script as described in the main page of the SDK documentation.

The SDK includes an example C++ client application, ptslcmd, which you can reference to see how a client interacts with the C++ Client Wrapper.

If you are using a client written in a different language then you will need to interact more directly with the RPC system. The Pro Tools Scripting SDK uses gRPC, and any language that is supported by gRPC and Google Protocol Buffers may be used. The PTSL.proto file contains the specification for the Pro Tools Scripting SDK client communication with Pro Tools.

I hope this helps,
Rob
Old 05-03-2023, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmajors View Post
Hello,

Yes, the Pro Tools Scripting SDK works with all levels of Pro Tools including Pro Tools Intro.

If you are creating a client app using C++ then you can use the Pro Tools Scripting SDK's included C++ Client Wrapper, which will provide a C++ interface for all of the RPC with Pro Tools. Look at the CppPTSLClient class in the SDK for details about this interface.

To build the C++ Client Wrapper, use the build_cpp_ptsl_sdk.py build script as described in the main page of the SDK documentation.

The SDK includes an example C++ client application, ptslcmd, which you can reference to see how a client interacts with the C++ Client Wrapper.

If you are using a client written in a different language then you will need to interact more directly with the RPC system. The Pro Tools Scripting SDK uses gRPC, and any language that is supported by gRPC and Google Protocol Buffers may be used. The PTSL.proto file contains the specification for the Pro Tools Scripting SDK client communication with Pro Tools.

I hope this helps,
Rob
Would you mind showing a brief example using nodejs? I plan on interacting with the sdk in an electron desktop app. Thank you.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:09 AM
Avid

We're looking into providing an example in a future release, though this will not be ready in time for the next update. The example would demonstrate sending and receiving requests between a JavaScript client and the PTSL server in Pro Tools using Google protocol buffers / gRPC.

In the meantime, this project looks like the most mature implementation of protocol buffers for JavaScript currently available, and our future implementation would likely use this or something very similar:

https://github.com/protobufjs/protobuf.js
Old 06-02-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Would you mind showing a brief example using nodejs? I plan on interacting with the sdk in an electron desktop app. Thank you.
Butters if it'd help I'm happy to give you access to my py-ptsl repository on GitHub, it's a clean reimplementation of the PTSL client in Python so if you can read that it'll give you an idea how protobuf and grpc works.
Mac OS X 12.6.2
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Old 06-11-2023, 07:29 PM

Hi Jamie, would you be willing to share this repository with me? I am looking to create some clip name request commands and would love to see some existing working examples.

following this C++ client wrapper directions does not work and there is no walk thru.

(To build the C++ Client Wrapper, use the build_cpp_ptsl_sdk.py build script as described in the main page of the SDK documentation.
)
Old 06-17-2023, 09:47 AM

I went through the repository today and deleted all of the files from Avid that I'm not allowed to distribute, so now I can make it public.

https://github.com/iluvcapra/py-ptsl

You can see my rename clip operation in the engine at

https://github.com/iluvcapra/py-ptsl...engine.py#L371

Though that probably won't reveal much, all it does is call the auto-generated protobuf and grpc code.
Mac OS X 12.6.2
Mac Pro (Late 2013)