Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-04-2003, 05:51 AM

Default DIGI: Will it ever be possible to implement Pre-Fader Inserts on the Master Fader?

DIGI: Will it ever be possible to implement Pre-Fader Inserts on the Master Fader? Or, is there some function of the processing that prevents it from being so? I'm aware of the bussing out to a stereo aux track hoo ha.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:21 AM

Default Re: DIGI: Will it ever be possible to implement Pre-Fader Inserts on the Master Fader?

What Advantage do you see in this feature? The only one I can see is that, when you do your fade, the compressor threashold doesn't change. That can be easily fixed by fading the mix later.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Default Re: DIGI: Will it ever be possible to implement Pre-Fader Inserts on the Master Fader?

That's an easy fix? Fade the track later? Interesting take on things. I'm not sure Ricky's clients would like being told that fix or not, neither would mine for that matter.

I totally agree with Ricky on this. The ONLY reason the inserts are post fader on the master is for the addition of dither as the very last process before the signal hits the output. I think it's a huge waste of 4 perfectly good inserts that could be used for dynamic processing when you make them post-fader. From what I've been told, there was/is discussion going on that involves making the last insert on the master fader post and the others pre, but there's nothing that indicates whether we'll see that in the near or distant future. I suppose it's possible that there may be some other, more elegant solution being designed to accomplish the dithering scheme on the master though.

For the time being, I guess we'll just have to hoo ha all the way home.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Simpson:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For the time being, I just use a stereo AUX. Then feed that to the Master. The comps go over the aux, the dither over the master. Works.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tomhartman:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Shawn Simpson:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For the time being, I just use a stereo AUX. Then feed that to the Master. The comps go over the aux, the dither over the master. Works. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep, that's the hoo ha I believe Ricky was talking about.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:47 AM

Why is there a debate over "this is how I can get around the problem" vs. professional logistics?