Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-13-2001, 12:09 AM

Default Soft SampleCell + ATTO Problem

I've just spent a day cleaning up the G4. Wiped system HD, installed 9.2.2 and reinstalled all software.
At the same time I installed a new extra IDE drive for backup and re-initialised 2 18gb Cheetahs (Glyph rack on Atto dual SCSI card ) with Express ProTools 2.3.2.
Everything is up and running great, except Soft SampleCell - the extension is crossed out on startup, and when you try and run it you get a "can't find SampleCell hardware, try restarting" message. It used to work fine on this system before my cleanup.
The only way to get it running is to restart with the Glyph turned off - then it works fine. Answerbase mentions several conflicts with hardware and other extensions but in this case none of it helps.
As the 2 Cheetahs are now blank I'm presuming it must be a conflict with the Atto HD drivers.
Anyone any ideas ?

G4 500DP
Digi 7 slot expansion chassis
Miro DC30+
Atto dual scsi
2 X 18Gb Cheetahs in Glyph rack
3 X Mix, 1 DSP Farm card
PT 5.1.1
Old 12-13-2001, 06:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: Soft SampleCell + ATTO Problem

If you haven't already done so, try a Mac OS Base extension set with the following enabled:
-Digidesign Control Panel
-DigiSystem INIT
-Digidesign Direct I/O
-Digidesign DSP Manager
-Digidesign Stream Manager
-Open Music System
-Soft SampleCell INIT
-USB Floppy Enabler

Brent
Old 12-14-2001, 12:24 AM

Hi Brent

Thanx for the quick reply. However no luck with your suggestion. OS 9.2.2 base + digi / oms extensions I get the same message when trying to run SSC -

Unable to find or allocate any samplecell cards. Try power cycling your computer.

If I restart without my external scsi drives on it works fine again!
It worked fine until I installed 9.2.2 and erased my scsi drives - they are currently empty apart from Atto drivers (although I only erased the drives, I didn't low level format them).
Old 12-14-2001, 08:35 AM
Avid

Remove all FireWire and extraneous USB devices and hubs (i.e. only have the keyboard and mouse connected to the computer). Disable all third party extensions for these devices and try again. Any luck?

Brent
Old 12-14-2001, 11:56 AM

I don't know if this is still the same deal, but I do remember that the SSC extension was disturbed by some others ( it does explain the red cross on the init). the workaround was to add a space at the beginning of the Soft SampleCell extension name, then it will appear as second in your extensions load during the MacOS boot. ( without the red cross normally). Good luck.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:08 AM

Ok - more details

OS9.2.2 base extension set + DIGI stuff - SSC would not start if I had my scsi drives going.

Stripped down the base set to the minimum - no internet, Iomega, coloursync, discburner, printing etc, etc.

OK, it now loads with the scsi drives on. Add back my midi stuff - OMS, freemidi, mptav usb etc. Still OK.

Add back Miro DC30+ drivers - STOPS working.

At this point I now find that SSC will run with either Miro drivers installed OR scsi drives on, but NOT both. Puting a space in front of the SSC extension name so it loaded earlier didn't help at any point.

Went back to OS9.2.1 where I had SSC working flawlessly before and I'm having the same problems. This leads me to expect that it's Atto/PCI related - the only other thing I've changed by erasing the drives.

I originally erased the drives using Apple's Erase Disc from the Special Menu. I wasn't sure whether this was right with regard to the drivers so I re-erased them using the ExpressPro-Tools 2.3.2 App and installed their drivers. I now have 6 partitions on each drive -

#1 Apple_partition_map 50.0kb
#2 Apple_Driver43 500.0kb
#3 Apple_HFS_ATTO 2.0kb
#4 ATTO_Options 0.5kb
#5 ATTO_SharedDatabase 10.0kb
#6 Apple_HFS 17.09GB

I seem to remember there having been an FWB driver in this list before. All other Atto settings are as per Technical FAQ's.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:27 AM
Avid

-We recommend formatting all SCSI audio drives with ATTO ExpressPro-Tools v2.3.2 (available on the PT CD-ROM) and the Apple Drive Setup utility for all ATA drives.

-If installed, remove the ATTO EPT system extension from the extensions folder...any difference?

-What version of the Miro Drivers are you using? Instead of forcing the Soft SC INIT to load first, try shifting the load sequence of the Miro drivers and see what happens.

Brent
Old 12-17-2001, 11:22 AM

Hi Brent

No Joy with the above.

It definately IS a HD Driver / Extension problem though.

If I initialise the drives with Apples Drive Setup SSC works fine.

I also tried HDT's auto initialise but again I get the same problem. I've emailed Glyph to find out exactly how they set up the drives when they ship them out. As it all used to work fine before I'm hoping this will do it.

However, it does seem like the SSC extension is a little particular. If I start up the mac with the drives off (SSC is okay with this) THEN mount the drives using the ATTO utility, SSC will still work!

Any other tips on this will be gratefully received.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:39 AM
Avid

Perhaps the number of partitions is causing problems....If you are able to do so, reformat your SCSI drives as a single volume using ATTO EPT 2.3.2 and see if anything changes.

Brent
Old 12-18-2001, 07:46 AM

Hi Brent

They always have been single partitions as far as the user can see.
The partitions I mentioned above are shown in the Device Info page in the ATTO app, and are automatically created to hold the drivers on the disc - we don't see them in normal use.