Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Sending audio/video files by email.

How do I prepare the audio/video files to be sent through email i.e. google, yahoo? My friend is working on a film in San Diego and I need her to know how to send the movie.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Sending audio/video files by email.

you should stuff everything but email usually has file size limitations so you'd better get a server set up going.

I use an on site server but you can use a web server as well.

How long is the project?

how long you want to spend uploading and how long she wants to spend downloading?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM

How do I stuff it? By onsite server do you mean digidelivery or something like that? A web server? Which web server do I use and is that a free service or something I'll have to pay for i.e.. iDisk or something like that? I don't know the exact length of the project I'm working on but I imagine that it's probably anywhere from an half hour to 45 min. long, maybe longer, maybe shorter. Any where from 500MB to a thousand and with the audio I'm sure it will be closer to a thousand, does that sound right to you? Which remind's me, I'll probably wind up having to upgrade my hard drive (ya right, if I had the money I'd be a movie star or a rock star or something like that)

I could spend all day uploading but I don't think she has allot of time to spend downloading. I'm trying to figure this thing out for her so that she won't have to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out how to get it all together to send to me. We just met on myspace about a year ago so we haven't actually met. I found out that she was in school for film and asked her if she had any material she could send me. I have a Mac G5 (PPC) with Pro Tools LE 7.1 and a Control24 which I use to do all my main tracking with, 2 KRK V8's, I don't have surround capabilities as of yet, a PreSonus Control Station along with the Rosetta 800 which I use to convert my first 8 ch. and the 002 which i use to convert the 2nd 8. It's a pretty sick setup! I haven't actually tapped into yet, still learning, been actually using this setup for about two yrs now, but have just recently found the time to put a into my craft. I've been using it mainly to record music but I want to get into film scoring as well as recording music which is a huge passion of mine as well as creating music. I'd like to have a full pre/post production studio, film scoring, A/V editing, music production, the works. I'm only 29 years of age so I'm stoked to have the setup I do.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM

here is what i do. I have a work drive that i can Fedex or UPS to the editor or client. They loads it and sends it back. If they have a spare drive on their end. they could do the same thing. Picture size verys way too much. 45 mins of picture plus OMFs, scripts and so on. That is just my take on things.

you can also checkout www.yousendit.com if you really have to use the internet.
HerronSFX Instagram
Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Stuffit or Zip are programs that compress files to make them smaller for transmission.
I use Rumpus to turn an old G4 into server on my end that's password protected for different users to download and upload files.

Depending on the scope of the project, fed-exing drives may work better.
45 MInutes... are you transmitting a mix or stems or a full session?
A 45 minute mix should take a few hours to transfer.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
here is what i do. I have a work drive that i can Fedex or UPS to the editor or client. They loads it and sends it back. If they have a spare drive on their end. they could do the same thing. Picture size verys way too much. 45 mins of picture plus OMFs, scripts and so on. That is just my take on things.

you can also checkout www.yousendit.com if you really have to use the internet.
Problem with web-based services like yousendit is that they are restricted to 2GB per delivery due to browser-restctions.

f.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 AM

Email services like Yahoo and Gmail usually have a file size limit for email attachments. This makes it extremely problematic to send large files (even when compressed) to someone with one of these accounts. Many of us set up our own ftp or web servers where we host our files and send a link via Email. When the client gets the link they can use a browser, or ftp client program to download the files from our servers.If your on a mac, you can setup a .mac account and host them on your production computer also.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 AM

Yahoo will host your domain with unlimited bandwidth and storage for $11 month.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yahoo will host your domain with unlimited bandwidth and storage for $11 month.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/
As mentioned before unless you have a real FTP access you are limited to 2GB transfers because of http protocol or browser restrictions. You can only overcome this by using a real ftp client program. Not sure if yahoo offers an ftp access or an option to create multiple ftp accounts for you clients.

One reel of QT DV is about 4GB. So unless you are transferring files below 2GB you will need "real" FTP or digidelivery.

frank.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Get Digidelivery. It's great.

Mike