Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-12-2005, 05:54 PM

Default What is optimum Mixing Levels - db?

What is the optimum mixing level, for least amount of ear fatigue and best frequency response to mix?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: What is optimum Mixing Levels - db?

0 db is unity gain and thus optimum level? In terms of not hurting your ears then I assume anything that doesn't hurt your ears when you listen to it. I never see the point in cranking up the volume when monitoring anyway. What are you monitoring on?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:59 PM

I have a pair of Event TR8's, but someone once told me a DB level that is around 75-80db I thought, that was supposed to be the best level to mix at because your ear's perceieved frequencies are most balanced at this supposed level.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:10 PM

85 dB SPL
Old 04-12-2005, 06:11 PM

Thank you Chris.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:22 PM

95 to 100 is cool too. Frequencies start to level out at that volume. (Fletcher & Munson) Do not listen to it all day at that volume though. You can safely listen at that volume for 15 minutes. An hour if at 94. Don't forget though, listening to something in the next room at quiet volumes reveal a lot in a mix too.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 PM

Ninio, 100 dB SPL is more than 4 times the loudness of 85 dB SPL...I strongly urge you not to work at that volume for extended periods of time! Mixes created at that volume often tend to lack bass and treble and seem mid-heavy at normal listening volumes resulting from the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness Curve.

I tend to mix at around 75 dB SPL but frequently check the mix at 85. 85 seems pretty loud and fairly fatiguing to me as it is...I can't imagine trying to mix any higher than that.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:03 PM

I like to wait until my ears bleed and then I can really hear the ringing of the cymbals, even when I turn off PTLE! Cool!

Radio shack digital SPL meter. - 50 bucks

Having your hearing your whole life, Priceless!.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Having your hearing your whole life, Priceless!.
I wish I would have thought of that when I was younger. Everything I have done in my life for a living or hobby has been very loud. I worked as a DJ at an album oriented rock station for about four years (the headphones were always jacked for some reason), I was in a touring band for several years and I have been a paramedic for almost 20 years. (The sirens have seriously damaged my hearing in the high frequency range) and one of my hobbies is competing in handgun competitions. I do wear hearing protection now but when I was much younger I never did. Plus, I am a scuba instructor and I think that has altered my hearing somewhat. Add in all the concerts I have been to in my life and you have a recipe for hearing loss. I'm not to the point of needing a hearing aid, but I do ask people to repeat themselves frequently.

How can you identify a scuba instructor?

1) They have funny tanlines (from the wetsuit being pulled halfway off between dives)
2) They wear big watches
and....
3) They say "huh" alot.

Funny, but true......

P.S. Karel, I dedicate this somewhat O.T. post to you.