Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2002, 11:00 PM

Default A "gold star" if you can answer this

Ok here's the deal:

I am setting up a new studio and this is what I want to do:

I will have a Prism ADA 8 expanded to 16 A/D's. Now, this is good because I can get 16 channels of Prism A/D conversion but the obvious problem in this equation is how to get the sound back out to my mixer (DMX R100). *if you expand the ADA 8 to 16 channels of A/D you don't have any D/A back out.

So how could this be done? Could I route the Pro Tools outs of the Prism into a Digi 192 and then run the outs of the 192 into the mixer? Has anyone tried this? Also if I wanted to stay completely digital is there a way to run 16 channels of AES out of the 192 into the AES of my Sony?

Remember a nice big gold star for the winner! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Donnie
Old 05-28-2002, 05:49 AM

Default Re: A "gold star" if you can answer this

I was looking into this..

Although Prism say the cards aren't made to swap out on a regular basis, you could keep a set of extra d/a's to make it a 16 out unit..

Anyhow.. I see that earns me no star...

I suggest you buy 2 x digital only interfaces from Digidesign.. they just released em. (Perhaps you only need one if you pull out one of the a/d cards...)

Do I get a star?

But I would call Prism.. They may now have a 16 x AES out card that you could swap over to for mixing.. I think they have some new goodies for their Dream ADA coming out..

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 05-28-2002, 11:01 AM

Jules,

Thanks for the info....

Here's MY thought.....feel free to tell me if you think this would work or not.

<setup would need to have the Prism and 1 digi interface with 16 channels of dig I/)>

16 channels from out mic pre's into the Prism

16 channels out of the Prism directly in PT

send the 16 channels back out of PT via the digi I/O (or 192 with 16 dig outs) to the Sony with the expanded digital in's.

Wouldn't this work?

Any thoughts?

Donnie

PS...as a side note....I just checked out the Digital only box. That seems like that would work great. I would just need to put two more cards of digital I/O in there to get 16 in's and out's....correct?
Old 05-29-2002, 12:03 AM

No, each Digital card gives you 8 ins AND 8 outs. A Digital I/O box will give you 16 in and 16 out. You're thinking of the analog I/O on the 192s which can either give you 16 A/D and 8 D/A or vice versa.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:56 PM

Wouldn't this work?"

yes! You have repeated my suggestion..

So I expect UPS to knock on my door anyday now with the 'star' ... (instead of gold, can you make it Maria Carey?)

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com