Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 09:10 PM

Default OT : So are you watching American Idol?

Ok since you know they are using Pro Tools we can talk about this.

The crop this year is better than last year. But who do you think will be top three? What do you think of the ones last year? Will any of them have a carrier Or will the be disposable?

I think Carmen sounds like she is on Auto Tune.

Wiz
Old 03-18-2003, 09:17 PM

Default Re: OT : So are you watching American Idol?

Oh I forgot, the music is worse than the singing. It sounds like they use a karoake music.

Wiz
Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 PM

Sounds like a topic for The Velvet Rope [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-19-2003, 01:10 AM

It's pretty sad that when I finally increase my activity on the DUC, I decide to respond to a thread about American Idol. Oh well, I think this is a fine place to discuss the show. I, too, noticed that Carmen sounded like she had been autotuned at times. It jumped out at me more last week than it did tonight though. For a competition, it wouldn't make sense for them to use autotune to cover some contestants' weaknesses. However, it could help explain why the finalists are so much better this season than they were last year. I am still betting that it is just Carmen's vocal characteristics, though.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:07 AM

I love these talent shows. I think the singers on star search are way better! Check out "Freedom" He can sing!
Old 03-19-2003, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jonnyrocker:
For a competition, it wouldn't make sense for them to use autotune to cover some contestants' weaknesses. However, it could help explain why the finalists are so much better this season than they were last year. I am still betting that it is just Carmen's vocal characteristics, though.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree that it it's probably just Carmen's characteristics...especially being that she wasn't always "on" throughout her performance anyway. And although the contestents are much better this year, several of them still get (as Randy states) a little "pitchy".
Old 03-19-2003, 11:06 AM

For any Clay Aiken fans out there, I posted some pics here:

http://homepage.mac.com/cargoplex/AmericanIdol

I didn't know him personally, but he went to the same high school as me in Raleigh, NC.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:58 AM

I'll have to say that Clay Aiken is phenomenal! He's the only one of the group that I have actually been excited about hearing. I don't know what it is - maybe his geeky-boyish-cutesy-friendly appearance. I say all that with total respect, by the way. He's like the ugly duckling. When he started the show he reminded me of Elvis Costello. Now he's actually starting to look like and individual - and MAN WHAT A VOICE! Whether he wins the competition, or not, I know he'll be very successful in his music career.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 03-20-2003, 03:54 PM

I totally agree about Clay Aiken! Man, that voice is awesome. The other singers are good, like Ruben and Kimberly Caldwell, but Clay has something fresh, unique, and pure. I think he sang Steve Perry's stuff very nice. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 09:19 AM

This years show has much more talent than last year. Hopefully there wont be another tragedy like last year when the ABSOLUTELY most talented singer TAMYRA was booted by the public.....Im still pissed about that. I didnt have a problem that she didnt win its just that she should have at least made the finals. I think we can chalk that one up to not enough minorities voting and/or people voting for who they want to win....not the most talented.

I am not tring to start a WAR, but this is the reason I think Rueben has no chance of winning.