Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 05-25-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Word Clock Configuration Pro Tools HD

Hello,

I am working on syncing together a pro tools hd tdm rig with loop sync and/or word clock. I have two digidesign 192s 8x16x8, then two 8-channel yamaha preamps connected via aes/ebu, one to each digidesign 192. I am not sure based on reading the manual and the digidesign paper article on jitter on how to best sync these units together via loop sync and/or word clock. In any case, I want to use one of the digidesign 192s as the master clock. I have attached two images below on how I am conceptualizing this.

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Word Clock Configuration Pro Tools HD

DigiDesign interfaces connected via Loop Sync, other boxes via external clock.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:00 PM

What Janne said The OP says he posted 2 images, but they are not showing. The pair of 192's is simple; Loop Sync out to Loop Sync in to create a loop of the 2 units. As for the Yamaha devices, there are probably a few ways, but WC out of the master 192 to either, and jump(daisy-chain) to the second would be the easiest(and make sure both Yamaha units are set to External clock. They may have an LED to show they are receiving clock). If you don't have things clocked correctly, it should be obvious by 1 of 2 things; either all the Yamaha inputs will make clicks and pops when you try to record them, OR, they will simply not pass audio at all

BTW, if these Yamaha units are a few years old, you may want to trade them out for other units as Yamaha were not known for stellar mic preamps in their digital stuff before the CL series

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-28-2021, 11:58 AM

Also make sure you terminate the wordclock on the last Yamaha in the chain. Some devices have a switch for built in termination, if so only turn it on for the last item in the chain.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 05-28-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Also make sure you terminate the wordclock on the last Yamaha in the chain. Some devices have a switch for built in termination, if so only turn it on for the last item in the chain.
Not needed if the cables are short, but best practice anyway. Not terminating drops signal level 3dB but has absolutely zero effect on 1-2 meter cable runs.