Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM

Default Pro Tools 9 on Retina MacBook graphics issue

Hi everyone,

I´ve just entered this forum hoping that you are able to help me with a problem concerning Protools 9.0.6 running on the latest MacBook Pro Retina (Early 2013, OS X 10.8.3). Forgive me, if I am posting my questions in the wrong part of the forum.

Since I am a student, I did purchase ProTools 9 some time ago with an EDU license. It all went well on my 2011 Macbook Pro but since switching to the Retina machine a lot went wrong.

Mainly, I am experiencing various kinds of graphic issues. I am not able to upload pictures here so I will try to explain it as good as I can:

Firstly, the overall resolution of the application is bad (as far as I know, this is a typical problem with non-retina-optimized applications). The GUI, the texts and the buttons look like a bad 240p YouTube Video. Some would call that "pixlerated".

Secondly, when I try to insert a plugin, white stripes appear as an overlay of the pop-up menus.

I´ve installed all the latest drivers (Cuda, (OpenCL) and tried to reinstall ProTools. Except from the graphic issues, the app runs fine and my iLok works without problems.

I hope that I don´t need to by the recent version of the software...

Your answers are very much appreciated!
Regards from Germany
meisterammac
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Lightbulb Re: Pro Tools 9 on Retina MacBook graphics issue

Do the EDU licenses come with 4 years of upgrades for no additional cost? If so, get a copy of v10.3.5 and see if your problems are resolved.

No more updates are being done to v9, and v10 was the currently shipping version when Mountain Lion OS started shipping last summer. My point being that you should not expect v9 to work on Mountain Lion as well as it did on Snow Leopard.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 on Retina MacBook graphics issue

Thank you very much for your reply!

It seems as if there is no such thing as a "free" update. But upgrading to v10/11 EDU is extremely cheap (EUR 159) so I am going to do that...

Anyways, this thread says one could have received an email if one is qualified for a free update:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309995