Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Default Converting Volume Automation to Clip Gain = Higher Volume!

Okay, so I just tried converting all the volume automation to clip gain in a session (Edit>Automation>), and lo and behold, the volumes are entirely DIFFERENT! Once converted to clip gain, all volume increases are way louder. So basically I'd have to go in and re-adjust everything. So I'm just curious why this conversion from volume to clip gain isn't unified, volume-wise. It oughta be, should it not?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Converting Volume Automation to Clip Gain = Higher Volume!

So what is the difference between using volume automation vs the new clip gain?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM

The most appreciable diff (in my opine) is that with clip gain the waveform adjusts to your higher/lower volume, which is a nice visual indicator of how loud the clip will be, in comparison to adjacent regions/clips. It basically eliminates the guesswork from matching levels.

Another nice thing about it is, while we wait for the return of non-realtime bouncing, you can at the very least, in the case of mere mono or stereo tracks, make clip gain adjustments and render them, and then just export the file(s) without having to bounce in order to get your volume adjustments printed.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
the volumes are entirely DIFFERENT
Ouch, I hope that's not the case. As long as you're using less than 12dB of clip gain you'd certainlly want the conversion to be identical.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Read it and weep. I'm going from VOLUME to GAIN, so it definitely ISN'T beyond 12dB. But it certainly is LOUDER.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Eric, I don't have any solutions to offer, but I can say that this definitely hasn't been my experience. In my experience, the only two appreciable differences between clip gain and volume gain are:

maximum gain: +12 (fader) vs +36 (clip)

pre/post insert points: clip gain is pre inserts, fader gain is post inserts. This will obviously change the way sounds interact with threshold-dependent dynamics plugins - compressors, gates, etc.

Other than that, I have found that the convert/coalesce process between Fader gain and Clip gain (and vice versa) is very predictable.

Please note the difference between "Convert" and "Coalesce" though... "Convert" simply replaces one with the other, while "Coalesce" factors the two against each other (like Coalesce trim).

Last edited by sounddroid; 11-01-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Any plug ins on the track? I guess it's changing from post-insert gain to pre-insert gain. Just a thought.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickroadstudio View Post
So what is the difference between using volume automation vs the new clip gain?
Both clip gain static volume and clip gain automation stay with the clip, no matter where it is moved on the timeline, and regardless of the shuffle, slip, spot, grid situation where certain edits on the timeline will cause volume automation to slip out of time with the clip. Clip gain is also pre-insert, so some plug-ins will react differently to volume adjustments done with clip gain.