Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM

Default K8V SE DELUXE/ WINXP CAN\'T FIND SATA HD\'S

Well,

I built an Allenstein machine and I am having trouble. I have two WD Raptor SATA drives hooked up to my K8V Se Deluxe Mobo and when I boot from my WIN XP HOME CD, windows looks for a HD to install windows on and says I don't have any connected. Weird, because at POST it shows me that I have 2 HD's there.

I am not sure what I need to do to get the system/ Windows to recognize these two drives.

System:

AMD 64 3400+ Mobile
K8V Se Deluxe
1028 Crucial RAM
2 WD 74 GB SATA RAPTOR HD's
CD ROm drive
Flopp drive
ATI 9600 Video Card

Please, help me if you can. I have been working on this for two days without completion.

Thanks everyone,
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 03-05-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: K8V SE DELUXE/ WINXP CAN\'T FIND SATA HD\'S

a sata harddrive must be formatted before use. I'm not sure if you can just fire up a compy with nothing other than an unformatted HD... I suggest you stick the drive in another computer, format it wiuth the included software, then reinstall it in the original machine. You can then format the other one after you install windows.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:10 AM

You will need to use the tool provided to install/prepare the drives, most of the time this is a floppy, Cd or a keysequence (ctrl-a or something like that) when booting. Also look in the bios for booting fropm IDE/SATA.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:09 AM

I found this sticky post most helpful. Should walk you through installation of proper SATA HHD driver via floppy for either Promise or VIA controller during XP install.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I found this sticky post most helpful. Should walk you through installation of proper SATA HHD driver via floppy for either Promise or VIA controller during XP install.
I knew there was some little complication when setting up these SATA drives for system. Thanks again for the info James. I remember now that Keith had to install the correct drivers from the floppy. Seemed strange to me. Another reason I don't like Windows is for their lack of driver support. This should be standard on XP installation disks.
Here is another link to all Asus motherboards and setting up mobile processors too.
Let us know how it goes Joel.

Asus Motherboard Support Page

Allen
Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I knew there was some little complication when setting up these SATA drives for system. Thanks again for the info James. I remember now that Keith had to install the correct drivers from the floppy. Seemed strange to me. Another reason I don't like Windows is for their lack of driver support. This should be standard on XP installation disks.
Here is another link to all Asus motherboards and setting up mobile processors too.
Let us know how it goes Joel.

Asus Motherboard Support Page

Allen

Hey Allen, I finally got in. I found the VIA drivers last night that allowed me to access a HD on my system for setting up Windows. Once I was in, I connected another Raptor 74GB HD. But, then I had to reinstall Windows again. When doing so, one of the Prompts (during setup) shows you the logical drives and asks if you want to set up Windows on the current drive volume, or if you want to partition. Well, the drive volume was 141754! That means it was reading both drives as one drive! What a *%&%* pain this is. So, thinking that I may not get this to work, I partitioned the volume and made two drives. That sucks. I really want the system to recognize the 3 individula drives I have as 3 seperate drives. And, I have no idea how to do this. I have RAID 0 config right now I guess. And, I can't get the system to recognize my third drive. The first two drives are plugged into SATA1 and SATA2. I have the third drive plugged into the Primary SATA slot and it does not recognize it.

I have read EVERYTHING! Every sticky, every, everything I can, and I am at a loss. So, here is my question:

HOw can I get this system to recognize my 3 WD 74GD SATA Raptor drives and my SATA DVD/ CD drive?

I am in Windows now and I have my latest Bios installed.

God, if someone can make this happen, I have cash for them, or whatever....

I know this sounds like a pain in the arse, and it is, but I really could use some help with this.

Please, please help me.

Thanks everyone!
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 03-06-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I have the third drive plugged into the Primary SATA slot and it does not recognize it.
I believe that would be on the Promise controller. Install Promise SATA378 driver and set Promise controller in bios to IDE Mode. That should allow you to run that 3rd Raptor HDD and SATA DVD burner separate in non-RAID configuration.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:44 AM

You might laugh but I actually sent back an MSI board because I thought it wouldn't recognize the SATA drive. I had three boards and the first one had the SATA ports turned on by default and the second didn't in BIOS. I'm probably way off but I think your problems may be with the SATA settings in your BIOS.
CPU : Athlon 64 3700+ athlon 754
RAM : 1Gig
Drives : 80GB 7200rpm, 74GB 10Krpm
Old 03-06-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I have the third drive plugged into the Primary SATA slot and it does not recognize it.
I believe that would be on the Promise controller. Install Promise SATA378 driver and set Promise controller in bios to IDE Mode. That should allow you to run that 3rd Raptor HDD and SATA DVD burner separate in non-RAID configuration.

Hope that helps.
Okay, here is what I know now:

The Promise Controller did not seem to be installed correctly. So, I installed it using the 378 drivers via floppy. But, it still has a yellow question mark next to it in Device manager after rebooting. Could something be interfering with it? When I try to update the driver, it says (this device cannot start) code 10.

In the SCSI/ RAID menu in device manager, I also see a RAID device that is enabled. But the Promise Controller still has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

Also, on run up, I get a screen that shows the On board Promise Controller looking for devices, but it cannot find any AND it says there is NO BIOS INSTALLED. What does that mean?

What next? I check the Bios (by hitting delete at startup) and it says my Promise Controller is enabled. It also has it in an IDE (not RAID) configuration.

Help?

Thanks again everyone. We'll get this done!

What next?
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 03-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Hmm....
Don't have that board but I know on the MSI it wasn't obvisous.
I'll Take a look at the man for your board and see if anything looks the same.
There should be a setting to make the SATA channels enabled or assigned.

-Hologram
CPU : Athlon 64 3700+ athlon 754
RAM : 1Gig
Drives : 80GB 7200rpm, 74GB 10Krpm