Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Where does rap come from?

For those of you interested in rap music see what people in the MPC forum are saying.
http://www.mpc-tutor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=545
Quill steno note book, Bic pen, #2 Skilcraft pencil
Old 03-17-2003, 01:57 PM

For those of you interested in rap music see what people in the MPC forum are saying. The thread ? was "IS rap all about sampling"

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=545
Old 03-17-2003, 07:18 PM

Very informative thread
I'l put my pennyworth in bullet form for clarity;

- The views expressed on the merits or demerits of Rap have less to do with Black or White than on the age group (or even gender). Every generation wants their own music to call their own. Once their parents like it - its dead. On to the next one. I can't see any parent feigning a liking for Rap with any conviction. Hence it should last a long time.
- People should be honest about how old they are (and Male or Female) to help others understand where they are coming from. I'll start - I'm 48.
- Paul Simon used Rap on the Gracelands album in the early 80's to great popular effect with "You can call me Al"
- Rap to me seems to lean towards the Two- Dimensional lyrical and visual myth and shock value (I'm bad, I'm on the street, in a gang, with a gun, don't mess with me MF....etc) forgetting about the crucial other dimension - Pitch. Its also seems to me to be more a Male thing than Female but I may be wrong
- This is a business and the businesses depend on the 'new generation' buying the CD's so they have to get it out there and market and produce it quickly before it dies They also are very aware that they are still competing with the longevity of previous music containing the Pitch-dimension
- Many people will give the standard response about Rap "..having a rightful place within music and who can say its wrong". they will never criticise it for fear of sounding 'less Hip'' They must appear to be open-minded. It becomes a vicious circle if the labels believe them.
- Interestingly, one contibutor above referred to him/herself as a 'Visaul Artist' which I think applies to Rap.
- If people are buying it must be have a place!

Personally, in all honesty, I cannot get in to it at all. I'll expect the usual. "Those that know don't need an explanation. Those that don't know will never understand."
Its fashionable to express a liking for what is in vogue.
BTW my attire is a disaster as well !!
Tony
Old 03-18-2003, 12:06 AM

J Blazin: sup and thanks for the props. Anyway I think the subject of Hip Hop gets more posts than any other type of music. I like that because Hip Hop still gets a strong reaction.

Hip Hop will die about 20 years after Rock and Roll dies.

Don't forget Rock and Roll was called race,jungle,ni---er music, Just like Hip Hop is now.

Wiz
Old 03-18-2003, 12:53 AM

The reality is, most people skin would crawl to think the things that influence them grow from the same places and people they fear. I don't mean us black people only, i mean the whole world of the underprivleged and hardluck. But they forget most great people came from these same beginings. I't is that very essence and aura that stems the need for creativity to distinguish one's self and to be better than all before. You have to work 3 times as hard to be heard when you have nothing to scream with and no one to hear .

The true shame is that most art forms are never truly appreciated till it's been striped of all the things that make it beautiful and creative to make profit. Take your choice music, acting, sports, painting. Practically any artform can trace it's demise to the day $$$ signs showed up at its doorstep.

I am therefore I rap not viceversa. To understand that is to understand an MC.

P.S. (Don't ever call me a Fu***ng rapper)
Old 03-18-2003, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WorldOfWiz:

Don't forget Rock and Roll was called race,jungle,ni---er music, Just like Hip Hop is now.

Wiz
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am not old enough to remember, but I have seen documentaries stating so....excellent point. I will remember that one when I get into conversations like this one.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:55 PM

J Blazin :That wasn't ment to you. I'm only 24 but I like to know the history of music. It was ment for the those fools who say those very same things.

Wiz
Old 03-18-2003, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tow:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Very informative thread
I'l put my pennyworth in bullet form for clarity;

- The views expressed on the merits or demerits of Rap have less to do with Black or White than on the age group (or even gender). Every generation wants their own music to call their own. Once their parents like it - its dead. On to the next one. I can't see any parent feigning a liking for Rap with any conviction. Hence it should last a long time.

I actually know plenty of parents that like 'rap'... remember rap is over 20 years old now... if you were in your late teens/early 20s then... with a child... hmm...

- People should be honest about how old they are (and Male or Female) to help others understand where they are coming from. I'll start - I'm 48.

Im 31.. and have been producing hip hop music for 11 years now... and making a decent living with it for the past 3 or 4 years

- Rap to me seems to lean towards the Two- Dimensional lyrical and visual myth and shock value (I'm bad, I'm on the street, in a gang, with a gun, don't mess with me MF....etc) forgetting about the crucial other dimension - Pitch. Its also seems to me to be more a Male thing than Female but I may be wrong

As far as the 2 dimensional lyrics... yes alot of it is like that... but you better believe there is alot out there that isnt that way and has more 'content'... and money & guns is not the only things people rap about... Yes it is a male dominated music... the pitch thing again, yes and no... there is alot that does take pitch into account... but majority doesnt

- Many people will give the standard response about Rap "..having a rightful place within music and who can say its wrong". they will never criticise it for fear of sounding 'less Hip'' They must appear to be open-minded. It becomes a vicious circle if the labels believe them.

Umm.. people said the similar things about rock and roll too when it first became incredibly popular...

Personally, in all honesty, I cannot get in to it at all. I'll expect the usual. "Those that know don't need an explanation. Those that don't know will never understand."
Its fashionable to express a liking for what is in vogue.
BTW my attire is a disaster as well !!
Tony

Your opinion is fine... People are allowed to not like something... but the thing that bugs me is when people immediatly put 20+ years of an entire genre down based on the few songs that they hear while quickly flipping past MTV... hip hop has changed alot over the 20 years of its existance, as would any genre of music... it would be like me discrediting all the years of Rock because I didnt like the Rock that I see on MTV today...

By the way this wasnt all aimed at you tow... it was just the most recent post that I wanted to respond to... so dont take it personally [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 04:05 PM

Think for yourself. It's the same thing as in all music. Most producers/writers/artists mimics/copies what's out there. Good producers/writers/artists break the mold. A good place to start is to not get an MPC60. If everyone already uses it, why should you?

Ben
Old 03-19-2003, 04:35 PM

Think for yourself. It's the same thing as in all music. Most producers/writers/artists mimics/copies what's out there. Good producers/writers/artists break the mold. A good place to start is to not get an MPC60. If everyone already uses it, why should you?

Ben