Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Default Foley - Sound effects for samplers...

Hi,

I'm working on a foley sound-effects library for samplers and looking for your advice.

Do you work with Structure, Kontakt or other samplers for your sound design needs like footsteps or anything time consuming to sync?

Do you have an interest in the use of specialized sound libraries like foley and sound-effects?

Whats your needs?

Thanks

Bernard
Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Foley - Sound effects for samplers...

None of the above.
I just need a foley artist.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Most studio specs require foley to be walked; no samplers.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signoaudiodesign View Post
footsteps or anything time consuming to sync?
That's the key phrase. For TV and movies, anything time consuming to sync like Foley, is usually more efficient and cost effective to have a foley artist record it live.
You may have a market with short films (but they don't usually have much of a budget) or corporate videos but I think most people in TV and film would rather use a foley artist.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 AM

A good Foley artist brings randomness, nuance, and adaptability that is hard to reproduce through sound layers, filters, and midi notes. A good Foley artist brings "life".

Having said that, there are times I have wished to have several pre-built Foley libraries on a sampler. They'd be great for someone who does not have a convenient recording space, which probably applies to a lot of people who now work out of their homes. A sampler would come in very handy for quick re-dos or additions during editing/mixing, too. I'd use a sample library now if I had one handy. When I need Foleys that were not covered well, I set up the mics, put PT into record, and run next door to "Foley" myself. It is inconvenient to set up and I suck at it. I take far, far more time to edit my own performance than to use a sampler!

I used to have libraries on a Casio FZ1 sampler of pats, grabs, and some footfalls. I also had banks of whooshes, sparks, zaps, zings and zounds. It was extremely handy until the thing died many years ago. Then it wasn't as handy.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 AM

I agree with you. There is no sound library that will replace the foley artist. But I tend to believe, from my experience that the flexibility of the technology of samplers like Kontakt, Structure will allow the sound editor to use (in some contexts like the kind of production, budget and / or dead line) more this way. Maybe not. That's why I ask this question. I appreciate your comments.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 AM

I think a carefully authored sample library would be valuable, and I think I would pay for it, but I'll still call a Foley artist for the bulk of work. A sampler will beat the pants off of hiring of a Foley artist when there is only a small amount to be done. A Foley artist can take more time selecting shoes or props than it takes for him to actually perform one instance of each. Most Foley sessions cover lots of footage, so there is no budgetary advantage to using a sampler unless you do not place a cost on your own time as an editor. But, as I said, I like the idea of having one and I am pretty certain I would use it.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 AM

I think it could be useful along with a custom touch- and pressure sensitive surface (ipad?) which would simulate a virtual foley pit. something you could "walk" on with your fingers and that could tell apart a tap from a scratch or drag... You could assign different materials to the pits and select shoes, etc.
Cheers
Old 10-08-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
I think it could be useful along with a custom touch- and pressure sensitive surface (ipad?) which would simulate a virtual foley pit. something you could "walk" on with your fingers and that could tell apart a tap from a scratch or drag... You could assign different materials to the pits and select shoes, etc.
Cheers
Well, I organized my footsteps patches with 4 velocity layers with 26 cycle round robin samples (per velocity) on one key. Another key with upstairs round robin and the same for downstairs. All the (20) black keys are for the moves/scuffs and I remaped the same round robin foots (4 layers) on the (26) white keys for more control. And then work in a bank (like Kontakt's banks). So you could make MIDI program change in pro tools.

I appreciate.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM

HEY!!! Great idea.....we've done literally hundreds of episodes of kids animation, and quite frankly, with a great library laid out properly, we could cut a lot of it. especially the little kids shows....that being said, our foley guys do amazing fast and creative work, no substitute on most stuff....