Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-02-2002, 05:30 AM

Default Tax Refund = Studio Expansion

Yes, it's that time of year. I am looking to expand my home studio in the next month or so and I need some help. Less that a year ago I
bought a Digi001, an AT822 sterio mic and becuase I couldn't get a signal that seemed strong enough into PT, a Blue Tube to boost the mic signal a bit.

Now with a tax refund soon to come my way I am wanting to expand and improve my studio capabilities. I expect that my budget will be approx. $2000. I hope some of you can suggest some equipment that will help me round out my studio economically.

My music is mostly acoustic. Native American flute, acoustic guitar and some percussion. I do have a keyboard and elec. bass and guitar as well but I have not incorporated them much as yet.

I have been thinking that I'd like to have a bit better quality mic. I intend to find a better way to do my monitoring than the bookshelf sterio system I now use. I am also considering a small mixer primarily for the preamps but if there are sends on it I can add some processing later on maybe.

I have been looking at the AKG C3000B because I'd like a nice large diaphragm mic and I hear good things about this one. Anything that compares with this for less money?

I am not so sure about monitoring. Lot's of choices but I am leaning toward a power amp and a pair of good monitors, maybe Tannoy Reveals.

As far as mixers go, I kinda like the little Mackie 1202vlz but then I noticed the Roland VM-3100 and since it has effects built in I might not need to buy separate processing later. Of course, there is always the tax refund next year... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If any of you have used any of this equipment I'd like to hear what you think of it. Maybe some of you are expanding along these lines
yourselves. What are your plans? Any thoughts would be appreciated.