Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Default PT11 Language Switch - Feature Request

Dear Avid, please implement a feature in the settings panel to select the preferred application language. - Such a tiny feature, such a great improvement. Thanks, Joe PS. Meanwhile: Anyone got a new language switching script (that works)?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Re: PT11 Language Switch - Feature Request

Joe, if you ever get a chance to see the Windows version of PT, check out the Preferences window (Display Tab) and see if that is the functionality you are looking for. We had to put that in for Windows because changing the language for that OS is not as simple as it is for the Mac.

Without researching, I'm not sure how easy it would be to turn on for the Mac as well, but I'll look into it if you, or another Mac user, could confirm that is the functionality you are looking for.
--------------------
We're only immortal for a limited time
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Sure there is other users looking for this (and a lot of them seem to be Mac users):

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...age/85683-3779
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...our/92832-3779
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...mes/92751-3779
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340183
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340348
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338130

It is really hard to work with the German version and until now I didn't hear only one user saying they like a translated PT better.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sumich View Post
Joe, if you ever get a chance to see the Windows version of PT, check out the Preferences window (Display Tab) and see if that is the functionality you are looking for. We had to put that in for Windows because changing the language for that OS is not as simple as it is for the Mac.
I really have no idea where I could look at a windows version of PT among my producer friends. We're all on a mac. ;-)

But I can give you a way how R&D could develop this feature: Add Checkbox "Use System language (Default: English)" in the preferences panel. Behaviour: If checked PT opens up in the system language if not it will open in English.

Last edited by Joe Sciacca; 06-26-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: clarifications
Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM

OK, we actually have the option to open PT in any language we support from a popup menu in the Preferences window on Windows (including of course, English). Sounds like this would meet your needs. I'll look into it.
--------------------
We're only immortal for a limited time
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sumich View Post
OK, we actually have the option to open PT in any language we support from a popup menu in the Preferences window on Windows (including of course, English). Sounds like this would meet your needs. I'll look into it.
That'd also be great. Ya know, once you're used to work in english, even if translated well, some expressions just don't sound obvious in german and this rather feels like an impediment when working. - Maybe the guys who start off in german (or any other language) would say the respective contrary if they'd be forced to suddenly use english. - Ah, the laziness of the human mind...
Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Another big problem with PT being german is, that I excessively use Quickeys, and most commands rely on the wording of the menus.
Since I programmed most of them in PT 7 or 8, I need the english menus for them to work.

I already opened a thread about this, when the system based language selection of PT first was introduced with PT10. Many people chimed in, but Avid didn't listen or care at all.
My question why Windows users get the option to switch the language and Mac users don't has been answered by an Avid rep with something like "because on a Mac that's too much work", which I found to be a rather ignorant and very unprofessional answer.

Great to see, that things at Avid seem to change. I hope, it's not just empty words though...

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock