Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2017, 09:49 PM

Default Avid HD 16x16 analog interface question.

This may be a very stupid question, but, does this abid 16x16 interface work with native software? I might be working on a record at a studio and they have this interface with pro tools 11 HD, but was looking to use my computer which has 12.5.2, but I also want the convenience of my plugs, reference music, etc. If so, what would be involved with something like that? Just download the drivers and plug it into my macbook?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Avid HD 16x16 analog interface question.

Avid HD interfaces use DigiLink conector so it's not just going to connect to USB. You need some box that has DigiLink connectors to be able to connect to your laptop. Avid HDN Thunderbolt, for example, if your laptop has TB connector.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 PM

I imagine they would have this already then though, no? Or would this connect right to their computer with an hdx card? Is that why I wouldn't be able to just plug it in?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
I imagine they would have this already then though, no? Or would this connect right to their computer with an hdx card? Is that why I wouldn't be able to just plug it in?
A Digilink interface will not work with a non-HD license, so you need to use their iLok with HD license as well, but also use your iLok with plugin licenses (for those that use iLok licensing). Is the studio going to loan you a Pro Tools HD license/iLok to use on your computer?

And what computer do you have exactly? (What model year MBP?).

You need a Digilink connection on the computer. You get that by installing a PCIe HD Native of PCIe HDX card in a PCIe slot (only for desktop computers)or in a Thunderbolt expansion box, or using the Avid HD Native Thunderbolt box.

If the studio has a HDX card your MBP will need a external Thunderbolt expansion chassis big enough to hold the card. Sure they might have that as well, and they might let you use that if they, they are very unlikely to want you fondling the HDX card itself out of a PCIe slot and putting in a expansion chassis. (like I would not even ask for that one) You could go buy your own for $3k-$4k for the card and chassis, and you'll still need that ~$2k HD software license. You should just ask the studio.

Why are you imagining anything? Go ask the studio. If they have a PCIe HD native HDX card they are quite unlikely to want you putting your grubby hands on it moving it to you computer from their computer.

And if the studio has PCIe HD Native and you need a Thunderbolt connection the cheapest option may be to go buy a used ~$500 Thunderbolt HD Native box, but you'll still need to borrow a Pro Tools HD License or buy one (~$2k'ish new). But that is not HDX.

You or whoever is tracking expecting to track via HDX, use AAX-DSP/HDX plugins etc. then use them. But that needs the HDX card installed, not HD Native/HD Native Thunderbolt.

Wether they want you touching their system with your computer at all is another question. Go ask the studio..

They prefer (or not) for you to install your plugins on their system? They already have them there? Again go talk to the studio.

Have I mentioned go talk to the studio enough?

And don't over think too much, if you are tracking in the studio, do you need all the final mix plugins on the tracking system? KISS works well for lots of stuff.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Wether they want you touching their system with your computer at all is another question. Go ask the studio..
If it was me, that kind of rental would have a BIG price tag on it...
Old 02-08-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
A Digilink interface will not work with a non-HD license, so you need to use their iLok with HD license as well, but also use your iLok with plugin licenses (for those that use iLok licensing). Is the studio going to loan you a Pro Tools HD license/iLok to use on your computer?

And what computer do you have exactly? (What model year MBP?).

You need a Digilink connection on the computer. You get that by installing a PCIe HD Native of PCIe HDX card in a PCIe slot (only for desktop computers)or in a Thunderbolt expansion box, or using the Avid HD Native Thunderbolt box.

Why are you imagining anything? Go ask the studio. If they have a PCIe HD native HDX card they are quite unlikely to want you putting your grubby hands on it moving it to you computer from their computer.

And if the studio has PCIe HD Native or HDX cards and you need a Thunderbolt connection the cheapest option may be to go buy a used ~$500 Thunderbolt HD Native box, but you'll still need to borrow a Pro Tools HD License or buy one (~$2k'ish new).

They prefer (or not) for you to install your plugins on their system? They already have them there? Again go talk to the studio.

Have I mentioned go talk to the studio enough?

And don't over think too much, if you are tracking in the studio, do you need all the final mix plugins on the tracking system? KISS works well for lots of stuff.
Hey, Darryl, thanks for the response! Not really a big deal at all actually. They'll have no problem with me using their system, and neither will I. Just me up late thinking about it and thought I'd shoot the breeze around here on the forum; see if something like this would even be worth it because it would be cool to have my system (mbpR 15") to print triggers, do tuning in my spare time, etc. Also, I'm not sure if you mentioned for me to go talk to the studio enough. Let me re-read the post to make sure that is in fact what you said because it didn't occur to me to talk to them.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 AM

Much easier to take their computer and iLok as they are so that you have easier setup on your place and back again in theirs. Don't break the system apart as you obviously don't have a clue of what you're doing
Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Much easier to take their computer and iLok as they are so that you have easier setup on your place and back again in theirs. Don't break the system apart as you obviously don't have a clue of what you're doing
Very true! I really don't at all haha! That's why I was just inquiring about it; shooting the breeze and seeing how Avid's hardware works just to see if it's a possibility, as I know that if these are actual options, they'll have no problem helping me out. I do appreciate everyone's response and time though, so thank you.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 AM

It's much better to use the studio as they have it set up. That way they are responsible for how the system works. Not you. Go track and have fun. Bring you laptop and a hard drive to back up. If you have "extra time" you can open the session from the extra drive and tune vocals or what ever you need to do with your set up and import the audio back into the master. I doubt that you will. You probably haven't heard this joke... What's the difference between a toilet and a recording engineer? A toilet only has one guy trying to crap on it at a time! You'll probably be busy enough...

Steve
Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Hey, Darryl, thanks for the response! Not really a big deal at all actually. They'll have no problem with me using their system, and neither will I. Just me up late thinking about it and thought I'd shoot the breeze around here on the forum; see if something like this would even be worth it because it would be cool to have my system (mbpR 15") to print triggers, do tuning in my spare time, etc. Also, I'm not sure if you mentioned for me to go talk to the studio enough. Let me re-read the post to make sure that is in fact what you said because it didn't occur to me to talk to them.
Great, and now you know about the connection options you can have a clear conversation with them. There is just so much buried here to do with tracking and mixing workflows, system stability, hardware technology, Pro Tools and plugin licensing, what they are willing to let you do, etc. You should...

It would be nice if there was one connection standard like Dante in use and people could largely just connect a laptop to it and go (yes I know at the high end you may need a Dante Ethernet card)....