Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 AM

Default 10.3.6 = No Eleven Rack Window?

In updating to 10.3.6 recently, I'm not getting my Eleven Rack window option or the option to show its control panel at the top of the EDIT window. I've re-installed the expansion pack, I see it load everything at start-up and am using it as my interface. Any ideas???

EDIT: I've also installed the 1.1.6 driver with no issues.

Last edited by brianiac5150; 07-09-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Re: 10.3.6 = No Eleven Rack Window?

Ah no, you do not need to install the expansion pack update for Pro Tools 10, all versions of PT 10 already include the RTAS plugin that provides the Eleven Rack GUI. I have no idea what will happen when you install that old plugin on top of 10.3.6, and nobody else will either. You might just need to do a full uninstall and reinstall from scratch.

You sure you are looking at PT 10 not a co-installed PT 11? PT11 has no ER GUI yet, and you cannot install the RTAS plugin over that either.

Lots more info would help (read the "help us help you..." Link above). platform, OS, what you have done to debug this etc.

Are you using a USB 2 or 3 port? Directly connected or via a switch?

Try a different USB cable?

Did you follow all the PT install instructions to optimize your system?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM

Thanks for your quick response, Darryl.

The window option wasn't there before I ran the installer and is not there now. One thing that is there (does now happen) is that I see it run the Eleven Rack GUI stuff at start-up, however, the window options still are not there, while the interface is working perfectly otherwise.

11R's plugged straight into MOBO USB 2 slot, same as it always has been, on my Windows 7 Pro PC. I don't think that - but admittedly could be wrong - spelling out all the hardware stuff would be worthy of the time. I just thought I'd pop on and see if anyone else experienced this.

This is the same type of issue I and many, many others saw when going from v9 to v10. ...and I'm 100% certain this is 10.3.6 solo install. I have not yet gone and won't be going anywhere near v11 for a while.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM

When you say "window option" you mean the full Window>Eleven Rack GUI window (not just the Eleven Rack bits of the edit Window top strip?).

Remove all other USB peripherals you can, reboot the computer, try different USB cables, try different USB ports

Do an uninstall of Pro Tools and reinstall. Never use that ER updater installer again.

Can you use your internal PC audio as the Playback engine. If so you should not even need to install the Eleven Rack driver for the ER GUI window to work (well if things work the same as on a Mac). Try that if you can.

Does the Windows device manager show any problems with any USB related devices?

If nothing else works grab a spare hard drive and do a clean Windows install. Install a bare minimum of any drivers (esp. avoid any other USB drivers) or third party software you need then install PT and see if this works.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Both. Neither of them are there and/or options to show. It's not even listed at the bottom of the MENU > WINDOWS, as it has been. It's listed and functioning properly as my PLAYBACK ENGINE, though, and all else is good regarding audio and functionality.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianiac5150 View Post
Both. Neither of them are there and/or options to show. It's not even listed at the bottom of the MENU > WINDOWS, as it has been. It's listed and functioning properly as my PLAYBACK ENGINE, though, and all else is good regarding audio and functionality.
The interface and MIDI/GUI Window use different USB/driver paths to the Eleven Rack, I am suspicious that you will need to do a full Windows reinstall to most quickly fix this.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
...a full Windows reinstall to most quickly fix this.
Certainly you don't mean Windows OS, right? Just PT 10.3.6?

Presuming you mean PT, would you think I must un-install first or simply run the installer again?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM

No I suspect you may be reinstalling Windows. Obviously try a Pro Tools uninstall and reinstall first.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Is there any specific reason why an OS re-install would be the issue/resolve?

The simple answer to THIS would likely address any reasons for complete re-install (corrupted registry, etc...).

I did do a re-install to the same results. I likely will do a system restore back to 10.2. Don't know why I thought something better would come out of upgrading, but I did it. As has been said many times within: don't mess with a stable system. Sadly, 10.3 has been chock full of issues.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 PM

How is that link in anyhow relevent to this? The problem does not have to be inside Pro Tools at all and if it is not it is very likely a Windows problem (especially in the Windows USB IO path) and/or caused by other crapware you have installed (which is why I suggested a clean Windows install with minimal other stuff--no uninstalling random things is not the same as a clean install). Does your PC have any funky software like Parallels or VMware Workstation or Player installed on it (all of which will try to grab control of USB interfaces)? Any other USB related software?

So the steps are...

Uninstall and Reinstall Pro Tools -- did that fix the problem? I've clearly stated several times now you should Unisntall then Install Pro Tools, actually to be even more paranoid, unisntall it, do a full reboot, then instal again. When you said you did a reinstall - you mean of Pro Tools? From what version to what version? And you did do that uninstall first? Have you fully you optimized your computer after the install? (PT set to run as admin, etc.)?

Is Windows Device manager reporting any problems related to USB devices? Did you try different USB ports/cables etc.?

If none of the above helps then reisntall Windows. Just go do it.

If you had a technical/developer level person willing to spend many hours picking though your system and there was a low level Windows problems they might work be able to work out what that problem is. I would not waste my time doing that on my own system, if the first things listed above did not work then I'd just reinstall Windows. It's Windows for god sake, a fragile mess of DLLs, drivers etc., I don't know how many times per year I have to reinstall Windows to get around corruptions/installer issues etc.

If a full OS install does not work, then a full Sandra report might be interesting, but by then I expect you are really screwed. And a Sandra report is unlikely to change any of the above steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianiac5150 View Post
Is there any specific reason why an OS re-install would be the issue/resolve?

The simple answer to THIS would likely address any reasons for complete re-install (corrupted registry, etc...).

I did do a re-install to the same results. I likely will do a system restore back to 10.2. Don't know why I thought something better would come out of upgrading, but I did it. As has been said many times within: don't mess with a stable system. Sadly, 10.3 has been chock full of issues.