How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-31-2019, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Drag and drop AAX sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
Not out of the timeline it isn't unfortunately.

Also, it doesn't play spread across the keyboard, nor is it polyphonic (for a single sample)... Not sure if the OP was looking for that (or that's just my reading of his post, given that he mentioned sound design)

Battery is great, and as you say is drag and drop (from the finder), but if you're recording audio in the timeline and want to manipulate it and play back using a keyboard then it's not the right tool.

I do exactly what the OP is talking about, and use Ableton for this (Simpler is really great for this kind of sound design)
I've been round the houses trying everything.... I've used pretty much every soft sampler out there (except the new TAL one which I've heard is great by the way).... Even got a Yamaha A4000 to try, and often use my OP1 for similar....

Ableton and Simpler, ReWired into PT is where I'm currently at...

Such a shame that support for developing Structure fell by the wayside. It could have been great for this.
That's a really interesting solution. I did a tiny bit of research on Ableton rewired to Pro Tools when I was considering ditching Cubase but read that Ableton was 'crippled' when used as a Rewire slave and couldn't host VST's. I didn't consider that the inbuilt Simpler would work as I assumed that was a VST instrument.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
That's a really interesting solution. I did a tiny bit of research on Ableton rewired to Pro Tools when I was considering ditching Cubase but read that Ableton was 'crippled' when used as a Rewire slave and couldn't host VST's. I didn't consider that the inbuilt Simpler would work as I assumed that was a VST instrument.
Yeah... it's kind of semi-crippled...!

Depends on your exact workflow, but it might be worth a try...
Simpler has some really nice features, like warped playback, so if you have a sample with (for instance) a tremolo running, you can play a chord and the trem will happen at the same speed for each held note (so the trems play in time). That's also easily disabled too if you want.

3rd party plugins won't work, but the built-in Ableton ones do, and they're actually really good.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 11-01-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Not out of the timeline it isn't unfortunately.

Also, it doesn't play spread across the keyboard, nor is it polyphonic (for a single sample)... Not sure if the OP was looking for that (or that's just my reading of his post, given that he mentioned sound design)

Battery is great, and as you say is drag and drop (from the finder), but if you're recording audio in the timeline and want to manipulate it and play back using a keyboard then it's not the right tool.
Actually a sample in a Battery 4 cell CAN play across the keyboard changing pitch as you go. You have to enable key follow in Battery. And you can limit the key range it plays over as well.

QAPLA!
Old 11-01-2019, 04:56 AM

Maybe the new Soundminer
Old 11-02-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah... it's kind of semi-crippled...!

Depends on your exact workflow, but it might be worth a try...
Simpler has some really nice features, like warped playback, so if you have a sample with (for instance) a tremolo running, you can play a chord and the trem will happen at the same speed for each held note (so the trems play in time). That's also easily disabled too if you want.

3rd party plugins won't work, but the built-in Ableton ones do, and they're actually really good.
Can you drag audio from the Pro Tools edit window or clip list and drop it straight into Ableton?
Old 11-02-2019, 11:40 AM

What I do is select and bounce (audio regions on the timeline) or select and mute all other tracks and export (MIDI regions on the timeline) to the desktop or another selected folder. From the desktop, you can drag such files into virtual instruments. For example, i can drag audio regions from the desktop into Kontakt or MIDI regions from the desktop into Superior Drummer.

It's not exactly what the OP wishes for, and it does involve a third temporary location (desktop), but it works.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:14 PM

Could you do this using a VST through Blue Cat PatchWork?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:32 PM

"VST through Blue Cat PatchWork?"

Nope.

+1 for bring back drag from timeline to plugin
Old 08-29-2021, 05:44 AM

Structure use to have this feature in pt but that was long ago. They broke it and never fixed it sadly.

Ej
Old 08-29-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Structure use to have this feature in pt but that was long ago. They broke it and never fixed it sadly.
Actually it was a bug in RTAS specification and they fixed it in AAX, thus the "functionality" was cut off. Cannot get it back without breaking AAX specification. Sorry to bring you bad news.