Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Default Alternative to Melodyne for Audio to MIDI? Or Which Melodyne version?

Besides doing it by ear is there a quicker way to goto Audio to Midi in Pro Tools?

Thinking about getting melodyne, which eventually I will. But monies slowing that down a little bit so for now I was wondering if there was an alternative? I don't really need it for pitch correction right now, although there will be times I use it for that. But my main need right now is just for the Audio to Midi function to help with extracting melodies for remix's.

So, any cheaper alternative way I can go audio to Midi in pro tools? If not, which version of melodyne is most suitable for me while still keeping it on the cheaper versions if possible?

Is there a cheaper version I can get that will aid in the basic audio to midi function AND the standard pitch/tuning correction?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Alternative to Melodyne for Audio to MIDI? Or Which Melodyne version?

I have the basic Melodyne package... I think it's called Essential...
It does audio to midi. It's about $100 or so. (At least it was when I bought it)
As far as I know, it's the only way.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Alternative to Melodyne for Audio to MIDI? Or Which Melodyne version?

waves tune will also do this
and has an under appreciated tuning algorithm;
and with all the waves sale blow outs…
e
Old 12-08-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
I have the basic Melodyne package... I think it's called Essential...
It does audio to midi. It's about $100 or so. (At least it was when I bought it)
As far as I know, it's the only way.
This is what I was curious about, how capable is the cheaper 99 dollar package?

Can you go in and adjust the pitch and pitch characteristics of a note or is it just audio to midi? Like I said, main need is audio to midi but if I'm buying melodyne I might as well be prepared if I ever need to tune vox as well. Don't wanna get too lite of a version just to upgrade later.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 PM

Oh yeah, it's great. You can adjust pitch, timing, vibrato, length, gain... Very powerful. I think it's limited in that it does not handle multiple tracks at once, but it seems fully functional in all the ways I have needed it.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
Oh yeah, it's great. You can adjust pitch, timing, vibrato, length, gain... Very powerful. I think it's limited in that it does not handle multiple tracks at once, but it seems fully functional in all the ways I have needed it.
Nice, thanks thats all Ill need then.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Here's a breakdown of the differences between Melodyne versions.

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/functions