Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 PM

Question Is this the right place?

I got a ProTools SE with M-Audio microphone for my birthday last summer, and am finally trying to work with it, because when I first tried I was getting too frustrated.

Is this the right place to ask for help? I have 2 questions.

I have spent 3 hours searching the internet tonight trying to find the answer to what I thought was a pretty simple question- how do I record a set of loops from my keyboard/synthesizer and install them into the "user" file in the loops section? I had fun playing with the stuff in there, experimenting, but I have so many more I want to be able to access.

Secondly, a friend thought that I might have to get a really expensive set of cables and some sort of box to be able to plug my keyboard into the protools system. I was able to plug it into the computer and record directly into Audacity, can I do the same with Protools? I have an Optimus MD-1200. It has a lot of possible sounds I would like as loops.

I would love to talk with a human! These boards are really confusing to me- I'm a grandmother and a bit of a technophobe, too many choices are worse than none, because they confuse me. I also kill hard drives with frightening regularity. If you have any classes in how to use Protools in the northern Virginia area, please let me know when they are being held.
Thank you
JoAnn Abbott
Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Is this the right place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnninVA View Post
I got a ProTools SE with M-Audio microphone for my birthday last summer, and am finally trying to work with it, because when I first tried I was getting too frustrated.

Is this the right place to ask for help? I have 2 questions.

I have spent 3 hours searching the internet tonight trying to find the answer to what I thought was a pretty simple question- how do I record a set of loops from my keyboard/synthesizer and install them into the "user" file in the loops section? I had fun playing with the stuff in there, experimenting, but I have so many more I want to be able to access.

Secondly, a friend thought that I might have to get a really expensive set of cables and some sort of box to be able to plug my keyboard into the protools system. I was able to plug it into the computer and record directly into Audacity, can I do the same with Protools? I have an Optimus MD-1200. It has a lot of possible sounds I would like as loops.

I would love to talk with a human! These boards are really confusing to me- I'm a grandmother and a bit of a technophobe, too many choices are worse than none, because they confuse me. I also kill hard drives with frightening regularity. If you have any classes in how to use Protools in the northern Virginia area, please let me know when they are being held.
Thank you
JoAnn Abbott

Hi JoAnn. Human here :)

You need to supply people with proper information, but I understand that's hard for a 'technophobe'. It's not necessary to be all-knowing, but without basic knowledge and a decent computer, well.... you're going to have to fix that first :) There's some system/harddisk info in the ProTools SE manual too.

Anyway, you say you want to record a set of loops from your synthesizer itself into ProTools. You do mean the loops/sounds from your synthesizer itself, correct? In that case, you must have a compatible soundcard/interface to actually record your synth's sounds into protools.

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between midi and audio. If that's the case, I really recommend to first inform yourself a bit on basic information on computer recording before messing around and certainly before buying anything expensive. Especially on the difference between midi and audio recording. Just google that stuff first. Here's to get you started:

http://www.showmeprotools.com/using-...ith-pro-tools/

On that very page, I read a conversation between 2 people:

"My midi keyboard is a radio shack optimus md-1200. It has the 2 midi connections but no audio (rca) type outputs. Is it possible to use the headphone output with a splitter to make the 2 audio outputs? Would this work?

Chris Bryant says:
April 13, 2009 at 7:55 am

Ken ~ Yes that could work. If you’re able to go and buy a 1/8″ Stereo (trs) to dual mono (ts) 1/4″ connectors. You could also do it by getting this 1/8″ stereo dual RCA and adding some RCA to 1/4″ adapters to it."

So you see that midi is not the same as audio. If you want to record the sounds from your Optimus itself, you will need a supported interface/soundcard and connect a proper cable to the headphones output of your Optimus.

You also can find a lot of into via the sticky topics (incl. videos) on top of this forum: http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

I personally fav'ed the Knowledge Base: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...70b3dc1#videos

Much nice info on that page, incl. the manual of ProTools SE and much more.

I read the following there:

"Interface Compatibility (supported soundcards):

Fast Track (inlcuded with Avid Recording Studio)
USB Micro (included with Avid KeyStudio)
Producer USB (included with Avid Vocal Studio)
MobilePre (includes Pro Tools SE software)
Fast Track Pro
Fast Track Ultra
Fast Track Ultra 8R"

Other interfaces (soundcards) won't work, apparently, but I'm not sure if that's still the case with recent versions of ProTools.

To be honest: I don't even use ProTools SE myself yet, I am considering it.

If you already own another interface, like I own an Echo AudioFire (which is not supported by ProTools) then you might want to reconsider whether ProTools is what you really want to use. For me, KeyStudio is an interesting bundle, because I need to buy a new midi keyboard and for the price it's amazing that it comes with the keyboard, ProTools SE and a little interface as well. Avid offerse more bundles. Perhaps one of those might interest you if you really want to use ProTools.

Packages like Audacity, Reaper, etc., don't come with their own sounds (as far as I know), but with them you can use any soundcard, even your own PC's built-in soundcard (which won't give you quality audio recordings though).

Last but not least:

If you use your 'daily' computer for music, I highly recommend to have a dual boot system: one windows for audio stuff, one for everything else. Don't set it up yourself if you don't know how and don't want to spend the time learning.

Working with computers can be a real drama if you don't know enough about them. Let alone making music on them. Likewise, it's a drama for support teams to try to help people who don't want to spend that time :)

Hope that helps you a little bit.