Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2021, 01:40 PM

Default Hybrid people - how do you get your mix out of PT?

Using Pro Tools for around a year now with a little hybrid setup and liking it more and more. However, I still don’t have a definitive workflow for getting the printed mix out of the DAW. So far I used bounce to disk, export clip or simply navigate to the session audio folder and copy it out of there. Everything kind of works but I’m interested in your suggestions. Is there a „correct“ way to do it?
Old 05-02-2021, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Hybrid people - how do you get your mix out of PT?

Hmmm, first, what do you mean by "hybrid"? If you mean you are mixing thru a hardware mixer, most folks I know just send the mix back into Pro Tools to a new stereo audio track and record that. When its done, they export that file in the format they wish(mp3, wave, etc). Having said that(which it sounds like you are already doing), what mixer are you using(which begs the question as to whether its worth the extra hassle of working in the box)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-02-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
When its done, they export that file in the format they wish(mp3, wave, etc).
That’s exactly the part I’m interested in. :) Usually I get the file manually from the session folder, but I guess that is not the smartest way to do it. So I came here to check how it’s done by people who „grew up“ in Pro Tools. Used Reaper before and there I always „rendered“ everything.

And you are correct, with hybrid I mean hardware is involved (not nearly enough to mix otb), so no offline bouncing. I should probably check the „export clip“ function again. That was the first thing I tried when I got PT and it didn’t work as I expected, but I can’t even remember why. Probably some fades that weren’t included because I didn’t consolidate.

It’s not that I’m unable to get my mixes out of PT, I’m just looking for some input to improve that part of the process.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:59 PM

Fastest way I know of is to open the CLIPS bin, select the file, right-click and Export. Be aware that if your session is at 24 or 32 bit and you export to 16 bit(as you would for an audio CD), Pro Tools will apply dither automatically(so you don't need to do that manually).

Old 05-02-2021, 04:01 PM

As for taking it directly from the audio files folder, that doesn't give you the option of selecting the format(sample rate, bit depth or MP3 encoding). Also, if you MOVE the file(instead of copying), then Pro Tools will throw a message about missing audio files the next time you open that session(not a big issue, but an annoyance)

One more option you might not have considered: Once the mix is in your session(on a track), you could solo that track and run Bounce to Disk(which would also give you the options for the format of the final bounce)

Old 05-03-2021, 08:09 AM

Thanks for your suggestions! I tried bounce to disk once, but it felt „wrong“, workflow-wise. I guess clip export is the way to go. I think I can even do that from edit view, just select the clip and press the shortcut (something with K, I forgot). Will try that again
Old 05-04-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHere View Post
Using Pro Tools for around a year now with a little hybrid setup and liking it more and more. However, I still don’t have a definitive workflow for getting the printed mix out of the DAW. So far I used bounce to disk, export clip or simply navigate to the session audio folder and copy it out of there. Everything kind of works but I’m interested in your suggestions. Is there a „correct“ way to do it?
So lets back up
First the most efficient way to get accurate targeted advice is create a "system list" in the signature section of your User CP Like the one I have below.

Perhaps try to avoid using personalized subjective metaphors when describing technical process, as they won't really have much meaning for anybody else.

Also note I do have an outboard HW compressor and reverb unit, so yes hybrid system.

So in answer to your question ::
I have been using PT since 2003 and I alway simply use "Bounce To Disk"
I don't know what the metaphor "felt wrong" means..... BUT here is why I use it.

#1 Bounce to disk will give you a real time bounce that allows you to have all the processing, both plugin and any outboard HW going into and being (rendered ) IN the resulting bounced file (If you have selected your main outs as the bounce source).......On a personal logistical note for ease of locating, I have my "Desk Top" as the destination I set in the Bounce dialog box...

#2 you can choose what format/s and specs you want the bounced file to be.
For example "stereo interleaved" or multi mono and you can bounce say a WAV and MP3 at the same time .....

#3 And since you are listening to it real time (if you hear something that you may have missed while mixing, that you don't like or want to change ) you can simply hit the esc key..... fix it...then bounce again....

WHATS NOT TO LIKE

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 05-04-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:34 AM

I rarely stray from Bounce To Disk. It has served me well. I do use real time bounce though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-05-2021, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
#3 And since you are listening to it real time (if you hear something that you may have missed while mixing, that you don't like or want to change ) you can simply hit the esc key..... fix it...then bounce again....

WHATS NOT TO LIKE
Thanks for your input and sorry for being unclear!

I might be wrong, but I understand you are bouncing instead of printing? If you want to make a change you have to start the bounce all over again, correct? When printing I can simply punch in the section I want to change. That said, I am not looking for an alternative to printing (that’s a given), I am looking for the best way to get the finished mix file from my „Print“ track in Pro Tools to the desktop unaltered. I felt that bouncing was „wrong“ for this, because it renders the same file again instead of simply copying it. But I can see the advantages of multi format bounces. Will have a look at it again, thanks.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHere View Post
I felt that bouncing was „wrong“ for this, because it renders the same file again instead of simply copying it. But I can see the advantages of multi format bounces. Will have a look at it again, thanks.
This is not an absolute. If your session is at the same settings as your desired output, then yes(but that still doesn't make it wrong or bad). What is your usual end product?