Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-25-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Help deciding..OctoPre LE?

What would you do?

Somewhere around $700 to spend.

The Soundcraft M12 with all the options of the Ghost-like pres, SPDIF out, monitoring options, etc. and wait a few weeks for the RME ADI-2. I can manage the M12 for $600, maybe better and would have to wait a minute for the RME.

or...

The OctoPre LE , for $499 + $199 for the ad/da option.

Actually, I guess it is quite a bit more fot the RME option ($650ish). But in any case, what would you think? Are the pres in the Octo competitive with the M12? How are the converters on the Octo?

Opinions would be great.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Help deciding..OctoPre LE?

if the preamps in octopre LE are the same than the big brother and the only real difference is the absence of builtin dynamic control, then the octo LE has a killer value. even without the a/d option.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:58 AM

Thanks a lot. Ive got some decent compressors layin around anyway, RNC, etc.

Im just still unsure about its pres vs. the soundcraft and the converters to the RME's, etc.

Although, it would be killing two birds, as they say.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:08 AM

I'm pretty sure the pre's in the Octopre LE are NOT the same as in the regular Octopre. If they were the same, I think Focusrite would have made a big deal about that fact. I have the regular Octopre, and I do like it a lot. However, i wouldn't ever buy another preamp that was lower in quality than the Octopre, no matter what it costs.

I have a feeling the Octopre LE will end up being a lot like a Behringer mixer you can plug into the ADAT port.

Having said all that, those are just my two cents based on the article linked in the first post. If there is more info out there I can check out, that would be interesting.

I considered buying an M-Series board as well, but then i realized that even if the pre's are the same as the ghost, the EQ is not, which is what I think sounds best about those boards anyway. Plus, you will use up all your analog inserts to use it, unless you have an external A/D unit, and it's big, whereas the Focusrite (or Digimax for that matter) unit fits neatly in my rack.

Kyle
Old 01-25-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
If there is more info out there I can check out, that would be interesting.

Focusrite OctoPre LE Preamp / DAW Interface (Video) (Jan 20, 2005) *Real Player

BTW - Many other videos from NAMM '05 available in other formats
here.

Enjoy and keep those opinions coming. I think Im leaning towards the M12 and RME for more options down the road even if the pres on the OctoLE are the same as the original.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:01 AM

FWIW - Just got off the phone with a Focusrite rep. Unfortunately, the release got pushed. The OctoPre LE wont be shipping until the end of February.